Author Topic: D810 Support under Mac OS X 10.9  (Read 2854 times)

Offline mrfearless47

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
D810 Support under Mac OS X 10.9
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »
My D810 is scheduled to arrive on Monday July 21.  Does Photo Mechanic depend on the capabilities of the OS to read NEF files, or is it built in to Photo Mechanic.  I use PM 5 (latest build, 15800) to ingest my photos, but them add them to my Lightroom catalog immediately after ingestion.  I'm wondering whether I will have to use Lightroom and Photoshop for ingestion since Adobe just released D810 preliminary support, or whether I will be able to ingest using PM immediately.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: D810 Support under Mac OS X 10.9
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 02:11:38 PM »
My D810 is scheduled to arrive on Monday July 21.  Does Photo Mechanic depend on the capabilities of the OS to read NEF files, or is it built in to Photo Mechanic.  I use PM 5 (latest build, 15800) to ingest my photos, but them add them to my Lightroom catalog immediately after ingestion.  I'm wondering whether I will have to use Lightroom and Photoshop for ingestion since Adobe just released D810 preliminary support, or whether I will be able to ingest using PM immediately.

You should have no problems ingesting/previewing/applying metadata/tagging/rating/saving/etc. with your new camera.  What you may miss is support for extracting some maker note specific metadata like the serial number of your camera, but even that I expect to work just fine.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »
My D810 is scheduled to arrive on Monday July 21.

You lucky bastard ;)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline mrfearless47

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 07:38:50 PM »
I always have two bodies.  I just unloaded my D600 plus a lens I don't use to pay for the D810.  Now I will have the D810 as my primary body and my D800 as my second.  It is always easier to have primary and secondary cameras in the same general category.  We do a lot of photo traveling and I prefer taking two bodies with two key lenses to taking one camera and a bunch of lenses.  All in all, it is lighter to carry.

mrf