Author Topic: Crop and tags get lost after copying from card  (Read 1917 times)

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Crop and tags get lost after copying from card
« on: July 29, 2014, 09:39:39 AM »
I know it is not okay to edit on card, but for example, this is my workflow:

- I first ingest photos I have locked as I was photographing events
- then follows culling through these ingested photos, tagging them and adding crop
- many times, during culling I realize I forgot to lock some photos and I go to the card to search for them and in this case I tag and add crop these photos on card but after copying these photos from card to the HDD of computer, these tags and crops get lost so I have to redo it once they are copied to HDD.

Is there any setup that enables the tags and crops to stay after copying from card to HDD. I did notice, that on tagged photos, the color tag stays, but crop gets lost every time.

Using MacBook Air 11" Mid-2013, OS X 10.9.4 (13E28) and latest Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 15800 (e6ecc1c).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Crop and tags get lost after copying from card
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:53:09 AM »
Sure, you can enable editing on your cards and PM will write back to your cards.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Files_Preferences

Allow modification of files on Camera Disks ( not recommended ! ): By default, Photo Mechanic will not make any changes to files on a memory device so that if anything ever goes wrong, you'll still have your original untouched files. If you're really, really sure you want to turn off this protection, you can.

-Kirk

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:05:55 AM »
Why is it so not safe, to add crop and tags? I mean, I am just asking to know all the risks before I set this up.  :) Usually there is not a big amount of photos that I have to add to those already ingested. And I do this mostly after the shooting.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:11:35 AM »
Why is it so not safe, to add crop and tags? I mean, I am just asking to know all the risks before I set this up.  :) Usually there is not a big amount of photos that I have to add to those already ingested. And I do this mostly after the shooting.

Writing anything to your card prior to downloading your images risks the loss of the only copy of the images you have.  If they're damaged on the card, they're damaged forever.

-Kirk