Author Topic: Windows Preview mode toolbar  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
Windows Preview mode toolbar
« on: November 04, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »
I normally use the Mac version of Photomechanic (latest v5 build under 10.9) but since along with three Macs in the house I also have two PC's I have been trying Photomechanic out under Windows as well. (Win 8.1, PM v5.0 build 15800 running on a Xeon 3.2 gz with 20 gigs of ram)
I have been stumped by two details which I have no problem with under any version of the Mac OS, and I hope that it is something simple that I've missed.  I would like to be able to hide the toolbar when viewing a photo in Photomechanic's preview mode. I can't seem to figure that out, and would love to reclaim the space it takes up since I only use shortcuts anyways. 

Secondly, one of the standout features of PM is the structured keyword feature.  I can't tell strongly enough how marvelous it is and how much time it saves me compared to the ungainly ways of keywording in any other program I've ever tried. 

On the Mac it works wonderfully for me.  I make the browser small enough so that I see one row of large icons.  Then I open up the structured keywords panel and size it so that it takes up the rest of my screen, under the visible photos, which I see about five or six of.  What is great is that I am able to use the arrow key to move from one photo to the next and with a double click I apply the keywords.  The big deal is that when I double click on the keyword, it keeps focus on the browser, so that I am able to simply use the arrow key to move to the next photo and apply the next keywords to it.

On the windows however each time I apply the keywords the focus moves to the keyword panel and if I use the arrow key, the keywords simply change - it does not move me to the next photos.  I have to change focus with by mousing around up and down constantly.  Is there a way to change this behavior to be identical to the Mac version?  It is more of a time saver than it sounds like ... and actually will cause me to forget about using Photomechanic under windows altogether, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Windows Preview mode toolbar
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 01:30:43 PM »
Pavel,

I normally use the Mac version of Photomechanic (latest v5 build under 10.9) but since along with three Macs in the house I also have two PC's I have been trying Photomechanic out under Windows as well. (Win 8.1, PM v5.0 build 15800 running on a Xeon 3.2 gz with 20 gigs of ram)
I have been stumped by two details which I have no problem with under any version of the Mac OS, and I hope that it is something simple that I've missed.  I would like to be able to hide the toolbar when viewing a photo in Photomechanic's preview mode. I can't seem to figure that out, and would love to reclaim the space it takes up since I only use shortcuts anyways. 

The Windows version does not offer the ability to hide the toolbar.

Secondly, one of the standout features of PM is the structured keyword feature.  I can't tell strongly enough how marvelous it is and how much time it saves me compared to the ungainly ways of keywording in any other program I've ever tried. 

On the Mac it works wonderfully for me.  I make the browser small enough so that I see one row of large icons.  Then I open up the structured keywords panel and size it so that it takes up the rest of my screen, under the visible photos, which I see about five or six of.  What is great is that I am able to use the arrow key to move from one photo to the next and with a double click I apply the keywords.  The big deal is that when I double click on the keyword, it keeps focus on the browser, so that I am able to simply use the arrow key to move to the next photo and apply the next keywords to it.

On the windows however each time I apply the keywords the focus moves to the keyword panel and if I use the arrow key, the keywords simply change - it does not move me to the next photos.  I have to change focus with by mousing around up and down constantly.  Is there a way to change this behavior to be identical to the Mac version?  It is more of a time saver than it sounds like ... and actually will cause me to forget about using Photomechanic under windows altogether, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll look into it, but utility windows may not work the same on both platforms.  On the Mac, utility windows do not gain keyboard focus.

-Kirk

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 03:59:28 AM »
Kirk,
I would love to have the chance of hiding the toolbar in Windows.
What I do now? I just press the border and move it to the right extreme and "hide it". it's there but minimized.
From time to time, could be great to have a keystroke to bring the histogram, just to check it for a couple of seconds.
Do yo think it's possible on Win?
Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 05:45:33 AM »
Fabian,

From time to time, could be great to have a keystroke to bring the histogram, just to check it for a couple of seconds.
Do yo think it's possible on Win?

Press the 'f' key to toggle the various panes.  The first time you press 'f', the panes hide.  The second time you press 'f' they reappear.  Look at the histogram.  Press 'f' again to make them hide again.

-Kirk

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 10:09:39 AM »
Thanks for the answers, Kirk.