Author Topic: Why are the tagged files changing date  (Read 7102 times)

Offline ima999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Why are the tagged files changing date
« on: January 12, 2015, 09:08:01 PM »
I'm brand new to the software.
I'm testing it out and every time I tag an image the file date/time is changed to current.
I don't want that, what is it changing to change the date, - I think I've turned off the settings that would save the file but it keeps happening.

Maybe I can ask this differently.
All I want to do right now is
1) view all images quickly
2) tag images to resort them
3) maybe move the images to another folder

Things I've noticed
1) The images take time to show in high quality.  I ingest 2,000 images, I look through the images quickly and it takes a moment for images to show high quality.  I then wait awhile and start scanning quickly through the images again - assuming the images are processing in the background but it doesn't seem to be doing that.
2) can I change the list of info items - I only want to see a few options - I know what camera I've used so I don't need it to tell me - and I don't care about firmware or contrast or....  they are getting in my way of finding the details I'm looking for.

Offline ima999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Why are the tagged files changing date
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 09:42:36 PM »
I found how to change the image info.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 09:46:36 PM »
I'm brand new to the software.
I'm testing it out and every time I tag an image the file date/time is changed to current.
I don't want that, what is it changing to change the date, - I think I've turned off the settings that would save the file but it keeps happening.

Depending on settings and file type, the tag value is stored within the file.  Updating the file changes the file's modification date/time.

Maybe I can ask this differently.
All I want to do right now is
1) view all images quickly
2) tag images to resort them
3) maybe move the images to another folder

Things I've noticed
1) The images take time to show in high quality.  I ingest 2,000 images, I look through the images quickly and it takes a moment for images to show high quality.  I then wait awhile and start scanning quickly through the images again - assuming the images are processing in the background but it doesn't seem to be doing that.

You didn't mention what OS platform you're running on, but if it is the Mac and you've turned on RAW rendering, turn it off.  The embedded JPEG previews stored within modern RAW files is more than adequate for your above described purposes.

2) can I change the list of info items - I only want to see a few options - I know what camera I've used so I don't need it to tell me - and I don't care about firmware or contrast or....  they are getting in my way of finding the details I'm looking for.

Yes, the Info Text is completely customizable.  Please see the manual:

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Info_Variable

If you'll tell me more about your system, what camera you use, and what file format(s) you're working with, I can give you more specific help.

-Kirk

Offline ima999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 10:35:11 PM »
System: Mac Yosemite
Camera: Canon 1dx Raw & JPG

I have turned off Raw rendering.

Offline ima999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 10:43:29 PM »
Re reading your reply
<<Depending on settings and file type, the tag value is stored within the file.  Updating the file changes the file's modification date/time.
>>

Why would it make modifications to my file.
All I did was tag the file.

Is there a way to change the settings to stop this from happening.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 09:51:15 AM »
The tag is stored within the file.  Metadata is stored in files.  On RAW files, you can choose to use an XMP sidecar file, but then you will have to manage its existence, keeping the files together when you move the images around.

-Kirk

Offline ima999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 10:05:22 AM »
Are you saying there is NO way to stop it from writing the Tag to the file?

All I want to do is:
* When viewing images Tag some
* Collect all the tagged images and copy them to another location
* At this time I will remove the tags from all images and start the process again.

For example:
* I take 100 images
* I review them and tag the "JUNK"
* Delete all the tagged images
* I then re-review all the images and Tag the "GOOD - ones"
* I copy the Good-ones to a "saved" folder
* I open the saved folder and clear the tags
* I review the good - ones (compared to a certain criteria) and tag the "NOT good anymore" and delete them
* I am now left with let's say 5% of the images I started with and NO tags

What settings do I need to set to get this to happen with NO modifications to my images.
At this point I pull up Photoshop and begin working on these images.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
For your RAW files, force PM to use XMP sidecar files.  For JPEGs, the files must be modified for the purposes of tagging, rating, color labeling, cropping, and annotating with IPTC/XMP metadata.

If you go to the IPTC/XMP settings and click on the snapshot button (it looks like a lightning bolt) and choose the Adobe item, your settings should then use XMP sidecar files only for your CR2 files and from here on out, your new CR2 files will no longer be modified when tagged (or any of the other soft-edits I just listed).  For CR2 files that have already been modified (the ones you'ver already tagged), PM will continue to modify them when tagged, because the files contain metadata that would get out of sync from the new XMP sidecar file.  You can delete the embedded metadata if you wish by selecting your CR2 files and using the Delete Metadata... command on the Tools menu.  The CR2 files that have had their metadata deleted will no longer be modified when tagged.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Delete_Metadata...:

-Kirk

Offline ima999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 01:40:19 PM »
I will give that a try.

Thank you for the help.