Author Topic: Saving XMP Templates - What has changed ?  (Read 22576 times)

Offline Grumply

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Saving XMP Templates - What has changed ?
« on: January 29, 2015, 06:57:52 PM »
Just upgraded to build 16268.  Now when I prepare a template for the Stationary Pad, and save it as I have always done, it does not save as a XMP file type.
It does save. I can see it when I look in Windows Explorer, but the file type just says "file" NOT  XMP  as llthe others I have previously done. When I try load it before ingesting, it does not appear on the list of available files.

Please help urgently as I have 6 jobs to do in the next 24 hours and need this to work

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Saving XMP Templates - What has changed ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 08:11:59 PM »
Just upgraded to build 16268.  Now when I prepare a template for the Stationary Pad, and save it as I have always done, it does not save as a XMP file type.
It does save. I can see it when I look in Windows Explorer, but the file type just says "file" NOT  XMP  as llthe others I have previously done. When I try load it before ingesting, it does not appear on the list of available files.

Please help urgently as I have 6 jobs to do in the next 24 hours and need this to work

What filename does it end up with?  Is it missing its filename extension?  If so, add on a .XMP to the file and it should now be an XMP file.

Please let me know the answers to the above two questions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Grumply

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 08:36:02 PM »
Hi Kirk

When saving it defaults to the filename PM_Metadata

If I save the template under this name it saves fine, I then rename it to the name of the shoot and all is good.
HOWEVER, if I change the name before saving then it does not save as a .XMP file -  it has NO EXTENTION after the file name

If I add the extension .XMP to the filename as you suggest it works fine. 

I have made my templates for tomorrows shoots, so I am ok and not panicking anymore. Hope I dont find anymore surprises when I process the images tomorrow.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:38:01 PM by Grumply »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 04:02:31 PM »
When saving it defaults to the filename PM_Metadata

If I save the template under this name it saves fine, I then rename it to the name of the shoot and all is good.
HOWEVER, if I change the name before saving then it does not save as a .XMP file -  it has NO EXTENTION after the file name

If I add the extension .XMP to the filename as you suggest it works fine. 

I have made my templates for tomorrows shoots, so I am ok and not panicking anymore. Hope I dont find anymore surprises when I process the images tomorrow.

What OS are you running PM5 on?

I tried saving from the IPTC Stationery Pad on Windows and the save dialog shows the file name as PM_Metadata.XMP and the Save as type popup menu only has one choice which is "XMP files (*.XMP)".  The extension is there for me.  Please post a JPEG screen shot of the problem.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Grumply

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 07:20:36 PM »
Hi Kirk

Sorry about they delay in replying. Out on the sports fields of Auckland.

I have tried on both my laptop and my desktop.  Laptop running Windows 8.1  Despktop running Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Hope this helps. If there is any other info required give us a shout.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 07:46:50 PM »
I really need to see a JPEG screen shot of what you're describing.  Grab a copy of your screen showing the save dialog in its entirety prior to you changing the name of the file.  On my systems the file has the .XMP extension and I can easily erase the default PM_Metadata part of the name and enter my own name, keeping the .XMP part on the new name I type.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Grumply

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 12:41:17 PM »
Here they are I have provided 2 screenshots. The first one is from the save screen and the second is the result in Windows explorer.

As you can see I changed the file name. Thats when it fails unless I include .xmp after the name. If I leave the name as the default PM_metadata it does not fail

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 02:10:04 PM »
Here they are I have provided 2 screenshots. The first one is from the save screen and the second is the result in Windows explorer.

As you can see I changed the file name. Thats when it fails unless I include .xmp after the name. If I leave the name as the default PM_metadata it does not fail

Why are you deleting the .XMP extension when you rename the file?

I can change the code to check for a missing extension and add it on if necessary.  It just seems unnecessary to delete the extension when renaming.

-Kirk

Offline Grumply

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 12:29:24 PM »
Hi Kirk

I am not deleting any . XMP extensions.

Even the default  PM_Metadata come up WITHOUT and extension but one is obviously added by the software because it works.  If you change the name of the file you have to add the .XMP extension in order to get it to work.

Whilst I understand this is not a major issue,  on previous versions (builds) of PM, I did not need to add anything manually.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for the speed and professionalism shown  in your response to my query.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 01:38:51 PM »
Hi Kirk

I am not deleting any . XMP extensions.

Even the default  PM_Metadata come up WITHOUT and extension but one is obviously added by the software because it works.  If you change the name of the file you have to add the .XMP extension in order to get it to work.

Whilst I understand this is not a major issue,  on previous versions (builds) of PM, I did not need to add anything manually.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for the speed and professionalism shown  in your response to my query.

Thanks.  I'll add some code to force an extension on if it is missing.  I can tell you though that on my system it starts out with "PM_Metadata.XMP" initially.  I don't understand how it can be any different on your system.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 03:03:36 PM »
Kirk,

I am having exactly the same problem and I was going to report this a week ago but too busy. The first attachment shows the xmp files via PM latest build in the Dropbox and the second attachment shows the same set of xmp files in the same Dropbox folder that I always use.

As you can see there is an odd file with a.snap extension.

When I go to save an xmp file it tells me it is xmp so I name it and save it and it isn't there when I try to load it and I have several files that should be xmp and are not. Hopefully there is a cure for this.

Best rgds
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 07:49:36 PM »
David,

I am having exactly the same problem and I was going to report this a week ago but too busy. The first attachment shows the xmp files via PM latest build in the Dropbox and the second attachment shows the same set of xmp files in the same Dropbox folder that I always use.

As you can see there is an odd file with a.snap extension.

When I go to save an xmp file it tells me it is xmp so I name it and save it and it isn't there when I try to load it and I have several files that should be xmp and are not. Hopefully there is a cure for this.

Like I said in the last post, I'll force a .XMP extension if it doesn't exist.  I have no idea how you managed to produce .snap files, but there is nothing preventing you from saving to any extension you choose.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 06:28:26 AM »
Kirk.
When I normally save the file it says that it will save it as an xmp file but doesn't. If I add the .xmp at the end of the name it will then save it as an xmp file and, for now, this will act as a workaround.

I can only guess that the .snap is the same as the snapshot file generated using the lightning bolt drop down.

Thanks for your help.
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 07:02:58 AM »
David,

I can only guess that the .snap is the same as the snapshot file generated using the lightning bolt drop down.

Yes, but that file should be only in the PM preferences folder along with the other snapshots.  There is no file picker for snapshots and they go in specific paths.  So that's why I'm wondering how yours got there.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 02:24:40 PM »
Kirk,

I have checked the xmp folder that is held on Dropbox and the .snap files were produced in 2012 for some reason which may have nothing to do with the current problem reported in this thread.

The first attachment shows several files generated in January which have no named extensions. These were the files that could not be found when I tried to reload the xmp files and were not visible in PM.

The second attachment shows a collection of fully named xmp files with two .snap files in the middle. All the .snap files shown and others that are in the full collection were generated in 2012 for some reason. They are obviously not related to the current problem so do not need investigating.

I hope this clarifies the problem and again thanks for your help.

David