Author Topic: Invisible .NEF file names  (Read 2922 times)

Offline RogerGW

• View Profile
Invisible .NEF file names
« on: February 04, 2015, 01:50:01 AM »
Hello,

With Version 5 Build 16268 some file names don't appear under thumbnails in contact sheets. It's mainly the case with files with Nikon's .NEF suffix.

I attach an example. The affected thumbnail should carry the label "2014_11_07__DSF3014_C1_2.nef".

When I click on a thumbnail, the name appears in normal fashion at the top of the screen.

This behaviour occurs with:
-- Raw files from Nikon cameras (V1, D200 and D300)
-- files whose final edit was with Nikon Capture NX2 and saved as a NEF, whatever the source camera.

The ones in the screen grab were edited in Capture 1 Pro but only the central picture in CNX2 as well. (The source was a Fuji X-T1 RAF original. RAF files are displayed normally.)

I think the cause lies in the file structure or metadata, not the suffix. As a test, I changed the suffix of a TIFF file from .tif to .nef but PM still showed the file name with the thumbnail (but in red).

I've also tried reinstalling PM, starting it as administrator and holding down the shift key while starting it. None of these actions made any difference.

Any suggestions, please?

Roger

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:22:51 AM by RogerGW »
Roger Whitehead
Using PM 6.0, build 5376, under Windows 10 Home, version 20H2

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Invisible .NEF file names
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 08:02:48 AM »
Roger,

With Version 5 Build 16268 some file names don't appear under thumbnails in contact sheets. It's mainly the case with files with Nikon's .NEF suffix.

I attach an example. The affected thumbnail should carry the label "2014_11_07__DSF3014_C1_2.nef".

When I click on a thumbnail, the name appears in normal fashion at the top of the screen.

This behaviour occurs with:
-- Raw files from Nikon cameras (V1, D200 and D300)
-- files whose final edit was with Nikon Capture NX2 and saved as a NEF, whatever the source camera.

The ones in the screen grab were edited in Capture 1 Pro but only the central picture in CNX2 as well. (The source was a Fuji X-T1 RAF original. RAF files are displayed normally.)

I think the cause lies in the file structure or metadata, not the suffix. As a test, I changed the suffix of a TIFF file from .tif to .nef but PM still showed the file name with the thumbnail (but in red).

I've also tried reinstalling PM, starting it as administrator and holding down the shift key while starting it. None of these actions made any difference.

Any suggestions, please?

I have none for you.  It sounds like a bug that needs to be fixed.  I'll need sample files from you that reproduce the problem.  Try and zip compress one of your images and post it here.  Otherwise I'll have you FTP your sample to our server unless you have something like Dropbox that you can give me a link so I can download it.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline RogerGW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 10:27:51 AM »
> It sounds like a bug that needs to be fixed.

I feared as much.

I've put three sample files from my Nikon V1 in my account at Dropbox (details in a PM to you). They are an unedited .NEF file, the file as edited in CNX2 alone (file name ending in "_2.NEF") and the file as as edited first in Capture One Pro then in CNX2 (name ending "_C1_2.NEF".

To make the last, I imported a 16-bit TIFF from C1P to CNX2. That's my usual MO.

In moving these files, I discovered two interesting phenomena:
-- the odd behaviour seems to arise only with files edited first in C1P
-- if I use PM to copy a problematical file to another directory (on the same or different drive), the thumbnail shows the name properly in the destination folder. However, if I use Windows to do the copying, the name stays invisible.

It's a weird one, especially as the previous release of PM coped with all these names and formats without hitch.

Roger
Roger Whitehead

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 02:44:56 PM »
Roger,

I got your sample files and unzipped them.  I cannot reproduce the problem.  All three images show their thumbnail titles in the Contact Sheet.  Are there any other preconditions I need in order to reproduce the problem?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline RogerGW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 09:07:39 PM »
It sounds to me as though the second phenomenon is at work on your machine, too.

There are no other factors to take into account that I know of, so it's probably best not to spend any more time on the problem. I've reverted to the previous release.

Thanks for trying.

Regards,

Roger
Roger Whitehead

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 10:56:52 PM »
Roger,

What happens if you make the thumbnails larger?  Do all of the thumbnail titles show up?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline RogerGW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 12:13:46 AM »
Curiouser and curiouser.

In order to try that, I had to reinstall Build 16268. That seems to have cured the problem (and without resizing thumbnails).

Something somewhere must have slipped a cog first time around.

Thanks again.

Roger
Roger Whitehead