Author Topic: IPTC Customized Preferences  (Read 3048 times)

Offline lgbillman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC Customized Preferences
« on: February 07, 2015, 02:57:27 PM »
I'm running Mac Yosemite v 10.10.2, and Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16268 (bcdb10d).
I'm struggling with the IPTC preferences set in Accessibility.  I have now saved several customized versions of the IPTC Info and the IPTC Stationery Pad.  With several versions of each saved, I can't seem to control which one comes up for applying to the image.  I saved one version of stationery pad and a corresponding version of the IPtC info settings I want to use, (or thought I did)  but when I apply them to a series of images, while the stationery pad seems to apply correctly, the info, when opened from the individual enlarged image, includes all kinds of headings that I don't want, and not only that, they are filled in with old information that is not part of the settings on either the stationery pad or info settings that I wanted to use. 
how do you set the saved iptc info and stationery pad version to be used in a set of images?  I use different settings for different functions, so one set may work for one type of shooting but doesn't work for another.  HELP! 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Customized Preferences
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »
It's Leslie, right?

The customization is for those who want to control what fields are available, how large they are, and what names are used for the fields.

If you're wanting to have metadata templates, you save and load them from the IPTC Stationery Pad itself.  You don't customize the look and feel of the dialog in order to make a template.

If you want things to be back to the way they were, just reset the customizations back to their default.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline lgbillman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 06:16:01 AM »
Thanks.  but it doesn't help the problem.  I was using the customization to control what fields are available and that works when pulling up the stationery pad yet, the info displayed with the enlarged individual photo not only includes unwanted fields, but also data from previous templates which are NOT loaded.  I've started with an empty stationery pad that contains only the fields I want, filled in the fields, applied to a batch of photos, and then open an individual photo and find fields that weren't to be included, and information in the fields that I didn't insert, despite starting with clear fields. 
I also don't understand why it's possible to save a customized set of fields if it's not possible to select which grouping as saved to apply to a given job.  For sports, I use one set of fields, and have saved that set, but then for nature, I use a different set and have saved it too.  But I can't seem to select which set to use with any given job - if I go into the accessibility panel and select a saved info set, that's not the set that always comes up for the next use. 
I really appreciate your help with this - I spent the day yesterday trying to work it out and just can't get it to work. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 08:54:57 AM »
Perhaps you could post some JPEG screen shots that illustrate your problem?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screen shots.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline lgbillman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 01:24:00 PM »
  As I went carefully through the steps to organize screenshots, I found a lot of the problems were just my own careless inconsistencies - operator error. I apologize for that time you took to examine the problem that you'll never get back.  As it turns out, I only have one residual question:  is there a way to delete saved customizations from the list at the lightening bolt (or anywhere else?) in the customized settings under Accessibility?  I went through several iterations of mistakes getting the setups right, and don't need most of the mistaken saved patterns that now populate the list;  I won't remember two months from now which one on the list is the right one to use.
Sorry again for taking your time. 
L.

Offline Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 02:04:47 PM »
easy: just option-click on one of the saved customizations and it will take you to the folder where all of the snapshots are stored.. delete what you don't need....

Offline lgbillman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 03:01:24 PM »
YES!  it worked;  before your post, I didn't know where those snapshots were saved.  thanks so much.