Author Topic: Newby Question  (Read 5042 times)

Offline seablister

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Newby Question
« on: February 23, 2015, 12:05:15 PM »
Is there a way that I can use photo mechanic to enter XMP info for image files from the past... that is 1) originals already archived in a raw folder and 2) converted and adjusted in a working folder? I have some old family photos that could benefit from some "who, when and where" info recorded from each.

I know it's not designed for that, but I thought maybe...

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Newby Question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 12:18:08 PM »
Is there a way that I can use photo mechanic to enter XMP info for image files from the past... that is 1) originals already archived in a raw folder and 2) converted and adjusted in a working folder? I have some old family photos that could benefit from some "who, when and where" info recorded from each.

I know it's not designed for that, but I thought maybe...

Photo Mechanic can add metadata for old and new images.  It doesn't care when they were taken.  Just browse the folders you're interested in captioning, use the IPTC Stationery Pad to lay down the common information, and the IPTC Info dialog to set the particular information.

This is something that PM was designed for.

-Kirk

Offline seablister

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 12:28:03 PM »
Thanks Kirk. Will I have to add info to the archived raw and the working files separately? They do have the same image name but are housed in separate folders.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 12:55:38 PM »
Thanks Kirk. Will I have to add info to the archived raw and the working files separately? They do have the same image name but are housed in separate folders.

You would have to do the captioning to as many copies as you have on your system.  Though, if the images are exactly the same, simply perform the captioning in one folder and copy the images to the other folder when complete.

-Kirk

Offline seablister

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 01:26:20 PM »
OK, thanks.