Author Topic: Re: Error(s) during copy/move operation  (Read 8582 times)

Offline arlene8888

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Error(s) during copy/move operation
« on: August 30, 2015, 05:32:59 PM »
This topic was posted in January of this year by another user but was not resolved. I am having the same problem. I am using a Mac Pro, software version 10.9.5 and PM version 5.0 build 15800. When I try to copy or move photos from one folder to another, I get this error messsage:  'There were error(s) during the copy/move operation'. Having to use Finder to copy and move photos is quite cumbersome. Is there a solution to this issue yet?  Many thanks for suggestions.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 07:22:08 PM »
This topic was posted in January of this year by another user but was not resolved. I am having the same problem. I am using a Mac Pro, software version 10.9.5 and PM version 5.0 build 15800. When I try to copy or move photos from one folder to another, I get this error messsage:  'There were error(s) during the copy/move operation'. Having to use Finder to copy and move photos is quite cumbersome. Is there a solution to this issue yet?  Many thanks for suggestions.

No.  Please post your log file here.  Go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and then upload the resulting zip file here.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline arlene8888

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 04:49:37 PM »
Attached is a log file I just generated. I appreciate any suggestions you have.
Thx
Arlene

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 10:13:32 PM »
Can you tell me what day and time you received the error message?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline arlene8888

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 03:25:20 PM »

I get this message every time I try to copy or move files from one folder to another. The last time was 5 minutes ago.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 09:12:52 PM »

I get this message every time I try to copy or move files from one folder to another. The last time was 5 minutes ago.

At what time in the log file (that you gave me) did you get the error?

-Kirk

Offline arlene8888

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »
I got the error, then I used the process you describe below about Reveal Support Data to get the log file. Is there some other way I should do this to make sure the error shows on the log file?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 02:10:40 PM »
Sorry.  I see no error messages in the log.  Let's try turning on one of PM's diagnostics.

In order to turn the diagnostic logging on, you'll need to create a file named PMDebug.txt and you have to place it among Photo Mechanic's preferences files.  Photo Mechanic's preferences files are stored in the following location:

<your home folder>/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/

Create the PMDebug.txt with your favorite text editor (it must be plain text and not some RTF or Word document.)  It needs to have the following contents:

COPY_MOVE_LOGGING ON

Save the PMDebug.txt file to your desktop and then copy it to the above folder.

The easiest way to open that folder is to use the Go menu in the finder and choose "Go to Folder..." and enter ~/Library/Preferences and then click the Go button.  Scroll down to the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder and copy your PMDebug.txt file there.

Then run Photo Mechanic and reproduce the problem.  Next, go to the Help menu and choose the 'Reveal Support Data...' menu item.  Your PM.log file should now be compressed and a Finder window should come forward and show you the file.  Please post the updated file here.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline arlene8888

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 03:14:36 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks for all the guidance. Can't say I really know what I am doing, but tried to follow your instructions. I did not have a folder in Library/Preferences called com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic so I created one. The I made a file as you described and put it in this location. Then in PM recreated the problem. The Reveal Support Data option was greyed out while the error message was up. I had to close the window with my request to move a file to get to Reveal Support Data  -  so I did that. Attached is the fie that was created. It was located in Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic/.  Also attached is the Debug file you requested. Somehow I am thinking this is not what you are looking for, but let me know if I should do something differently. If it is better to try this while on the phone, let me know a number and time to call and we can try that.

thanks again,
Arlene

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 08:41:12 PM »
Arlene,

Thanks for all the guidance. Can't say I really know what I am doing, but tried to follow your instructions. I did not have a folder in Library/Preferences called com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic so I created one. The I made a file as you described and put it in this location. Then in PM recreated the problem. The Reveal Support Data option was greyed out while the error message was up. I had to close the window with my request to move a file to get to Reveal Support Data  -  so I did that. Attached is the fie that was created. It was located in Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic/.  Also attached is the Debug file you requested. Somehow I am thinking this is not what you are looking for, but let me know if I should do something differently. If it is better to try this while on the phone, let me know a number and time to call and we can try that.

You need to go to the Finder's "Go" menu and choose the "Go to Folder" menu item and then enter:

~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic

When the window opens up, put your PMDebug.txt file there along with the other files and folders that are there.  Then reproduce the problem and send me the updated log file.

You must have this directory or PM would not function at all. ;)

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline arlene8888

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 01:39:02 PM »
Ok - did as you suggested. Again I had to close the error window to create the log file. So did that and it is attached. Hope I did it right this time.
Thanks again.
Arlene

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 03:00:21 PM »
Ok - did as you suggested. Again I had to close the error window to create the log file. So did that and it is attached. Hope I did it right this time.

I don't see any evidence of the logging being turned on.  Please send me a personal message with your contact information and a best time to call and I'll call you and work through the problem with you, Arlene.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline rfrancis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Error(s) during copy/move operation
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 12:33:02 PM »
I received an error message when trying to copy/move some files last night.  A detail box popped up but there were no details listed.  How would I procede to fix this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 05:55:34 PM »
For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]