Author Topic: PM5 preventing iMac from entering sleep mode  (Read 4168 times)

Offline calfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM5 preventing iMac from entering sleep mode
« on: September 09, 2015, 04:57:58 PM »
I'm running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16438 (e61be25) on a Retina iMac with OS 10.10.2 at the moment...

I did a search in the Support forum and it seems this problem has afflicted some users back to 2009 with earlier OS X & PM versions.

If PM 5 is up and running the iMac will fail to automatically enter sleep mode when it's reached the time set in the control panel of the OS for iMac to go to sleep.

If I shut down PM5 then it will enter sleep mode as it's supposed to.

It's not an earth shattering crisis, but I have my system do it backup in the middle of the night and if I fail to shut down PM5 before I finish work for the day the system and all the hard drives will remain up and running all night.

The system will enter sleep mode if I do it manually with the command under the Apple Menu but after it's awakend to do the backup PM5 will prevent the system from sleeping at the conclusion of the backup.

I'd sure like to prevent that 6-8 hours of wear & tear on the hard drive array when I fail to close PM5 not to mention the energy savings - It does add up.

Any thoughts? :-\

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5 preventing iMac from entering sleep mode
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 05:03:27 PM »
I'm running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16438 (e61be25) on a Retina iMac with OS 10.10.2 at the moment...

I did a search in the Support forum and it seems this problem has afflicted some users back to 2009 with earlier OS X & PM versions.

If PM 5 is up and running the iMac will fail to automatically enter sleep mode when it's reached the time set in the control panel of the OS for iMac to go to sleep.

If I shut down PM5 then it will enter sleep mode as it's supposed to.

It's not an earth shattering crisis, but I have my system do it backup in the middle of the night and if I fail to shut down PM5 before I finish work for the day the system and all the hard drives will remain up and running all night.

The system will enter sleep mode if I do it manually with the command under the Apple Menu but after it's awakend to do the backup PM5 will prevent the system from sleeping at the conclusion of the backup.

I'd sure like to prevent that 6-8 hours of wear & tear on the hard drive array when I fail to close PM5 not to mention the energy savings - It does add up.

Any thoughts? :-\

Check the console.log for messages relating to sleep.  PM does disable sleep when the Slide Show is running, but restores it when the Slide Show exits.  Sleep mode is not disabled at all unless you run the Slide Show.

-Kirk

Offline calfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
Hmmmm....

I never run slide show, don't even know where the menu command to start it up would be...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 11:19:20 PM »
Hmmmm....

I never run slide show, don't even know where the menu command to start it up would be...

OK.  So did you check your console.log for messages about failure to go to sleep?  (Applications->Utilities->Console.app)

-Kirk

Offline calfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 04:59:48 PM »
Well I hadn't because I've been closing down PM5 when I know I'll be finishing for the day or away from the mac for an extended time...

I just checked however and found 3 messages:

9/10/15 1:45:03.872 PM WindowServer[166]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: Deferring.
9/10/15 3:21:24.115 PM WindowServer[166]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: Deferring.
9/10/15 4:29:03.373 PM WindowServer[166]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: Deferring.

Don't know if these would have anything to do with the phenomenon or not. What I will do is set up an instance where I leave PM5 on and walk away for an extended period - then check the log.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 11:09:12 PM »
Well I hadn't because I've been closing down PM5 when I know I'll be finishing for the day or away from the mac for an extended time...

I just checked however and found 3 messages:

9/10/15 1:45:03.872 PM WindowServer[166]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: Deferring.
9/10/15 3:21:24.115 PM WindowServer[166]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: Deferring.
9/10/15 4:29:03.373 PM WindowServer[166]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: Deferring.

Don't know if these would have anything to do with the phenomenon or not. What I will do is set up an instance where I leave PM5 on and walk away for an extended period - then check the log.

Perfect.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 03:22:01 AM »
I had same sleeping problem with first versions of Yosemite.
 All is fine with 10.10.5
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator