Author Topic: Keywords added to TIFs not visible from within FotoStation Pro 6  (Read 3147 times)

Offline artminds

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Art Minds Surf & Sport Photography
Keywords added to TIFs not visible from within FotoStation Pro 6
« on: November 28, 2007, 04:50:29 PM »
I'm puzzled by the storage of keywords applied to TIF files when the keyword are initially added to the file from within Photo Mechanic.

If I view the metadata in PhotoShop CS3 (File > File Info) or Bridge CS3, I see the keywords. If I view the metadata from within FotoStation Pro 6, which if now fully IPTC and XMP compliant, I see all metadata except keywords. 

If I open the TIF in Photoshop, and do nothing other than save it again, the Keywords now appear in FotoStation Pro 6.

I have the IPTC/XMP preference settings in Photo Mechanic as shown in the attached screen capture.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keywords added to TIFs not visible from within FotoStation Pro 6
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 05:03:06 PM »
I'm puzzled by the storage of keywords applied to TIF files when the keyword are initially added to the file from within Photo Mechanic.

If I view the metadata in PhotoShop CS3 (File > File Info) or Bridge CS3, I see the keywords. If I view the metadata from within FotoStation Pro 6, which if now fully IPTC and XMP compliant, I see all metadata except keywords. 

If I open the TIF in Photoshop, and do nothing other than save it again, the Keywords now appear in FotoStation Pro 6.

I have the IPTC/XMP preference settings in Photo Mechanic as shown in the attached screen capture.

While I have no idea why FotoStation would not read the keywords, I'd be happy to compare the files out of PM and Photoshop if you'd like and see what may be the problem.  I'd need two files from you: one from PM, and one from Photoshop.  Contact me directly by clicking on my name to the left of this message and then click on the "personal message" link.  I will respond with server upload information.

-Kirk

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 10:51:12 AM »

Photo Mechanic stores the IPTC record in TIFF tag 33723 which is what has been used since Photoshop 3 to store the IPTC record (this was part of a "Rich TIFF" specification and also specified by the The Japan Newspaper Publishers & Editors Association).  The keywords are indeed stored in this IPTC record along with the other IPTC fields, so I don't know why Fotostation wouldn't see these keywords when it is finding other IPTC fields OK.  Sounds like it isn't really very compliant after all.

When Photoshop writes out a TIFF file, it additionally puts the IPTC record (formatted the same way) in its own "image resources" block (which by the way is where the IPTC record is found in JPEG files for some stupid historical reason having to do with Photoshop's original reliance upon the Macintosh resource fork).  Apparently Fotostation is able to see the keywords from this IPTC block (as a PS image resource) but not from the more standard IPTC block that Photo Mechanic writes/reads, so this sounds like a bug in Fotostation.

We have no intention to modify the Photoshop image resources for the purposes of storing the IPTC record due to various technical issues.

--dennis

Offline artminds

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Art Minds Surf & Sport Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 11:49:24 AM »
Thank you Dennis. I'll follow up with the folks at FotoWare.