Author Topic: Version 6 and buying now  (Read 27784 times)

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Version 6 and buying now
« on: January 25, 2016, 07:11:04 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, or even how much Camera Bits is willing to say but...

I see a lot of discussion about Version 6, someone asking to be in the beta, and discussion that it will emphasize a new catalog feature of some sort.  Most of this is from users so I do not mean to imply it is real, but.

I am considering buying PM, and plan to use it solely as a culling (and maybe crop/straighten) tool as a front end for Lightroom.  This leads to two questions:

Will all this "catalog" feature still preserve the speed of NOT using such a thing, and being able to just drag and drop into Lightroom?  That's the sole reason I want PM.  Empthasis on speed -- it's all about culling speed for me.

And... is there a general policy that Camera Bits has with regard to upgrades?   Obviously one would be annoyed to buy and find 3 months later a new version you had to buy all over again.  Even if you can't speak to the future, can someone share how this worked (in particular how long it worked) in past versions?   I don't so much need to know how soon Version 6 is coming, but that I'll get a pretty decent run before having to invest again.  Especially since I am just using 5% of the product but buying 100%.  ::)

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Version 6 and buying now
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 09:30:31 AM »
Hi Linwood,

Thanks for writing in. To address your upgrade concern, the current Photo Mechanic Version 5 license gets you free upgrades for any and all new versions for one year from your purchase. So you should have no worries about purchasing right before any new versions come out.

As far as performance with any new versions or features, rest assured that we know that speed is the very most important aspect of Photo Mechanic. When new functionality is added we do our utmost to maintain the high level of performance that got folks to use us in the first place.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions or want me to clarify something, let me know.

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 11:14:39 AM »
...the current Photo Mechanic Version 5 license gets you free upgrades for any and all new versions for one year from your purchase.

Reasonable.

Does one also then get all minor versions until the next major release?   Regardless of time?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 01:01:03 PM »
...the current Photo Mechanic Version 5 license gets you free upgrades for any and all new versions for one year from your purchase.

Reasonable.

Does one also then get all minor versions until the next major release?   Regardless of time?

Yes.  All minor updates to any major version of Photo Mechanic that you own are free.  Though once a newer major version is released, the previous major versions will no longer be updated.

-Kirk

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 01:38:14 PM »
Thank you.  Very clear.

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 09:32:38 AM »
I'd like to chime in and say that I very, very much appreciate the attitude that Camera Bits have with regard to staying true to the core concepts.  In this age of feature clutter,and new for the sake of 87 is always better than 86, it seems that at most companies it is the marketing departments that rule - and we photographers lose.

Thank you Kirk and all for not making me re-learn each and every release.   

Offline ajschaefer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Action Sports Pixs
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 10:54:22 AM »
I would like some direction, if possible, on how to or a recommended way to store photos in anticipation of the catalog program.  Currently I store on various hard drives and off site locations.  I use date system currently given over a million photos currently I like to see if you have some insight into how to or the best way to continue to store and catalog photos so the transition to Camera Bits catalog would not be over burdensome.  Any insight would be much appreciated

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 02:34:49 PM »
I would like some direction, if possible, on how to or a recommended way to store photos in anticipation of the catalog program.  Currently I store on various hard drives and off site locations.  I use date system currently given over a million photos currently I like to see if you have some insight into how to or the best way to continue to store and catalog photos so the transition to Camera Bits catalog would not be over burdensome.  Any insight would be much appreciated

You need not do anything special.  You can use any strategy you like.  You'll just have to mount each drive to catalog it.

-Kirk

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 02:25:46 PM »
Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but I was trying to find info on v6 and came across this. The OP mentions "a lot of discussion about Version 6" in a two year old thread. Is there any prediction on a release date?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 08:20:29 AM »
Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but I was trying to find info on v6 and came across this. The OP mentions "a lot of discussion about Version 6" in a two year old thread. Is there any prediction on a release date?

No firm release date, but PM6 will be released this year.

-Kirk

Offline Harvey Levine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 01:46:40 PM »
When the release comes, will PM users get an email or will we have to keep checking the forums? Thanks for your great product.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 05:40:20 PM »
Harvey,

When the release comes, will PM users get an email or will we have to keep checking the forums? Thanks for your great product.

We will make announcements via email if you've signed up for the newsletter.  We will also be announcing here in the forums and on social media platforms.  I think everyone will hear about it. ;)

-Kirk

Offline Harvey Levine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 06:03:18 PM »
Cool and thanks.

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »
Quote from: Kirk Baker link=topic=10179.msg55759#msg55759

No firm release date, but PM6 will be released this year.

-Kirk
[/quote

Youpi !!!
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 10:01:57 AM »
Are we still looking at v6 this year?