Author Topic: Change color labels?  (Read 11608 times)

Offline 211Oakland

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Change color labels?
« on: January 07, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »
I've got PM5 on macOS.

I am trying to use the Lightroom compatible color labels. I switch to them in the Preferences, hit "OK" and then go back to the photos. But I'm still presented with the default set of colors and labels, not the Lr ones. When I go back to Prefs, they're back to the PM default set. I'm using these with .orf and writing to sidecars. Why can't the Lr set stick in prefs? or am I missing something?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Change color labels?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:53:20 PM »
Is there something keeping PM from updating its preferences?

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline markok

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 04:46:41 AM »
Hello, I experience similar difficulties while matching color labels in Photo Mechanic and LR.  It only works partially ie. I can only use 3 colors...?

PM only allows assigning colors from #1 - #8 while  LR is limited to #6  - #9 ... which means I get matching colors in LR only if I assign corresponding colors to #6 - #8 in PM! In all other cases LR will show WHITE color label.

Attached are screen shots...

Is there a solution to it? - so I will be able to use full color palette matching it in  both programs?!

Thank you,
Marko   

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 06:18:01 AM »
If think things get a bit confused because you have duplicate colour names. Change the last three to something else and then you should find everything is working again.  Please note too that the numbers don't need to match (they are just the shortcut key number in LR).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline markok

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 06:53:16 AM »
Thank you for your suggestion but in my case this unfortunately does not work?!
Have already tried every possible combination....

Bottom line - if the numbers PM and LR do not match then LR flags all color labels in WHITE...?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 11:10:07 AM »
Thank you for your suggestion but in my case this unfortunately does not work?!
Have already tried every possible combination....

Bottom line - if the numbers PM and LR do not match then LR flags all color labels in WHITE...?

Lightroom doesn't use numbers for its color labels, it is completely name based.  You can use the snapshot button to the right of the color classes to choose the 'Adobe' setting (makes PM use the same label names as Lr's default.)

-Kirk

Offline Schnix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »
I've got PM5 on macOS.

I am trying to use the Lightroom compatible color labels. I switch to them in the Preferences, hit "OK" and then go back to the photos. But I'm still presented with the default set of colors and labels, not the Lr ones. When I go back to Prefs, they're back to the PM default set. I'm using these with .orf and writing to sidecars. Why can't the Lr set stick in prefs? or am I missing something?

Are you using Adobe Lightroom Classic in a foreign language? If you do, the color labels in PM must match the name for the color in your language. For example: red label in PM must be titled with the german word "Rot", the yellow label must be described with "Gelb" and so on.

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 04:00:37 PM »
I'm having the same problem as the OP. If I click on the button and choose Lightroom, the color labels change as expected. If I exit preferences and come back, or just click on a different tab and go back, the default color classes are back. This is the only preference change that exhibits this behavior.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 05:27:38 PM »
Hmm.  Try making one other change in General and then OK the Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 05:56:47 PM »
Yeah, I'd already tried that. Other change sticks, but colors revert. Also tried options other than Lightroom with same results.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 06:26:52 PM »
Yeah, I'd already tried that. Other change sticks, but colors revert. Also tried options other than Lightroom with same results.

That is really strange.  What build of PM5 are you running?

-Kirk

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 07:50:05 AM »
19252 (b2467f)

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 01:19:44 PM »
Hello, I experience similar difficulties while matching color labels in Photo Mechanic and LR.  It only works partially ie. I can only use 3 colors...?

PM only allows assigning colors from #1 - #8 while  LR is limited to #6  - #9 ... which means I get matching colors in LR only if I assign corresponding colors to #6 - #8 in PM! In all other cases LR will show WHITE color label.

I do see a problem with empty color label fields being filled in with default values. We'll get this fixed as soon as we can. A workaround might be to add a single space character to the label names that you're not using.

If the problem is that labels 1-5 can't be changed, then I suggest contacting our support folks for help with a preference reset.

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2800

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

-Jerry

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 01:27:19 PM »
That worked. Thanks

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 04:50:43 PM »
After further investigation, it appears that the auto population of empty Color Class label fields was intentional. A default Color Class value will be used if a field is empty, so this isn't necessarily a bug.

-Jerry