Author Topic: Video previews and exporting still frames  (Read 3250 times)

Offline RodgMall

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Video previews and exporting still frames
« on: March 15, 2021, 10:16:53 PM »
I've been a Photo Mechanic user for many years. The latest PM seems to have lost a lot of video capability. My .mov clips don't show a preview unless I quit the program and relaunch the folder with the clips. Sometimes I have to do that twice. Another great feature that seems to work inconsistently now is the ability to scrub through a video and quickly save a high quality still frame. My latest download sometimes defaults to saving the opening frame of the clip or another frame besides the one I've chosen. Is there a preference I need to reset? I'm using Canon 5D (MKIII and IV) and MacOS. Thanks for any help!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Video previews and exporting still frames
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 09:25:39 AM »
I've been a Photo Mechanic user for many years. The latest PM seems to have lost a lot of video capability. My .mov clips don't show a preview unless I quit the program and relaunch the folder with the clips. Sometimes I have to do that twice. Another great feature that seems to work inconsistently now is the ability to scrub through a video and quickly save a high quality still frame. My latest download sometimes defaults to saving the opening frame of the clip or another frame besides the one I've chosen. Is there a preference I need to reset? I'm using Canon 5D (MKIII and IV) and MacOS. Thanks for any help!

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline RodgMall

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 07:58:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply Kirk. Here is the file. I hope it reveals something useful to you.

Thanks again,
Rodger

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 08:54:03 PM »
Rodger,

Thanks for the reply Kirk. Here is the file. I hope it reveals something useful to you.

Just picking one file: /Users/rodgermallison/Desktop/3.6.21 Troop 17 Rocketry/DJI_0587.MOV

If you open it with QuickTime Player and show the "Movie Inspector" (on the Window menu), what does it say the "Format" is?

-Kirk

Offline RodgMall

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 11:51:34 AM »
Kirk, it is H.264. Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 01:04:05 PM »
Rodger,

Kirk, it is H.264. Thanks

Video playback should be very possible in PM6.  I play H.264 encoded videos all the time in PM6 on my macOS Mojave system (10.14.6) and they work reliably.  For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline RodgMall

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 03:15:30 PM »
Will do. Thanks!