Author Topic: Sending a RAW file to external editor from catalog  (Read 1899 times)

Offline AlanB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Sending a RAW file to external editor from catalog
« on: August 30, 2021, 05:24:42 AM »
When I locate a RAW file using the Catalog, I can edit it externally but when I save it as a TIF in the external editor, it is not automatically put in the Catalog. Instead I have to go back to PM, find the file path, identify the image and then give the command to include in catalog. This is a tedious process. Is there an easy way to have it automatically recognised in the catalog upon return from the external editor?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sending a RAW file to external editor from catalog
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 08:35:07 AM »
When I locate a RAW file using the Catalog, I can edit it externally but when I save it as a TIF in the external editor, it is not automatically put in the Catalog. Instead I have to go back to PM, find the file path, identify the image and then give the command to include in catalog. This is a tedious process. Is there an easy way to have it automatically recognised in the catalog upon return from the external editor?

No, there is no such automation currently in Photo Mechanic Plus.

-Kirk

Offline AlanB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 03:03:52 PM »
Thanks for your response Kirk. Given that the catalog can't be automatically updated, it seems to make sense to only send an image to the external editor from the browser, not from the catalog. To simplify this process, is there an easy way once an image is selected in the catalog to open it in the browser? If so, it could then be opened in the browser, sent to the external editor, returned to the browser after processing and be added easily enough to the catalog. At present, the only way I can see to open the image in the browser after finding it in the catalog is to read the file path and then drill down in the browser to locate the item. This is a frustrating, time consuming process - but perhaps I am missing something?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 03:54:22 PM »
Alan,

Thanks for your response Kirk. Given that the catalog can't be automatically updated, it seems to make sense to only send an image to the external editor from the browser, not from the catalog. To simplify this process, is there an easy way once an image is selected in the catalog to open it in the browser?  If so, it could then be opened in the browser, sent to the external editor, returned to the browser after processing and be added easily enough to the catalog.

Yes.  Right-click on the image and choose "Reveal in Context" and a folder-based contact sheet will open and the item will be selected.  You could then edit from there and when you return from your editor the new image should appear (as long as you have PM set to rescan on resume).

Selecting the new image and adding it to the catalog should be fairly painless from there.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline AlanB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 04:52:41 PM »
Brilliant. Thanks Kirk