Author Topic: How to clear Catalog Metadata Updates Tasks?  (Read 3136 times)

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
  • Let's be nice to nature!
    • View Profile
    • Sebastian Burger Photography and Projects
How to clear Catalog Metadata Updates Tasks?
« on: December 13, 2021, 12:58:38 AM »
Hi!
Since months I see that 3993 batches remain. Also the Preview Generation speed is with 0,7/sec partially extremely slow. What to do? I re-indexed both catalogs with 40+70k images. Nothing changed.
Working since 2012 on https://www.mut-tour.de: As Initiator and "art director" I deal a lot with my and other photographers images and am happy to leave fuggin' Adobe's subscription trap. Hoping camera bits guys keep on programming.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to clear Catalog Metadata Updates Tasks?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 09:49:24 AM »
Sebastien,

Since months I see that 3993 batches remain. Also the Preview Generation speed is with 0,7/sec partially extremely slow. What to do? I re-indexed both catalogs with 40+70k images. Nothing changed.

I'm sure that if you were to bring that catalog that is currently offline back online (did you delete it or is it just on a drive that is no longer mounted?) then the tasks would complete.

-Kirk

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 11:41:28 AM »
Hi Kirk,
Problem is: I Don't which offline catalogs could be meant as the two I am running are online. How can I delete forgotten catalogs that disturb or whats the point?

Can it be that PM+6 needs almost a minute to startup? The Mac Activity Mnitor tells the firtst 40-70 seconds PM6+ is not responding - which is true. I run it with a MBP late 2016  under Big Sur.

Thanks and alle the best
Working since 2012 on https://www.mut-tour.de: As Initiator and "art director" I deal a lot with my and other photographers images and am happy to leave fuggin' Adobe's subscription trap. Hoping camera bits guys keep on programming.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 12:35:13 PM »
Sebastien,

Problem is: I Don't which offline catalogs could be meant as the two I am running are online. How can I delete forgotten catalogs that disturb or whats the point?

Can you post a screenshot of your Catalog Management window, please?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Can it be that PM+6 needs almost a minute to startup? The Mac Activity Mnitor tells the firtst 40-70 seconds PM6+ is not responding - which is true. I run it with a MBP late 2016  under Big Sur.

That's not usually the case but appears to be true for you.  Do you have any drives that are either asleep or are unreachable (NAS that became disconnected but will reconnect when accessed) on startup of Photo Mechanic Plus?  That will certainly delay startup.

-Kirk

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 12:51:04 PM »
hey Kirk,
No that startup behaviour is independen from my (currently active ext. hd): After 17 Seconds it becomes irrespondible, on second 100 seconds I see the program, 2 seconds after that I can start to worl. This is repeatable!

Attached the screenshot

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 01:06:44 PM »
Sebastian,

No that startup behaviour is independen from my (currently active ext. hd): After 17 Seconds it becomes irrespondible, on second 100 seconds I see the program, 2 seconds after that I can start to worl. This is repeatable!

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic Plus go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 01:07:40 PM »
here I got the first problem solved:

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 01:12:07 PM »
And concerning the speed of starting up and processing preview generation: Therefore I mail you my zip file again - I am still of the opinion that these log files content way too much sensible information that not everybody should be able to read. And be it foldenames etc.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2021, 01:37:52 PM »
Sebastian,

here I got the first problem solved:

What is it that you did that got the first problem solved?

If you haven't done so already, please click on the Forget button in the Catalog Status window.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 01:38:47 PM »
Sebastian,

And concerning the speed of starting up and processing preview generation: Therefore I mail you my zip file again - I am still of the opinion that these log files content way too much sensible information that not everybody should be able to read. And be it foldenames etc.

Fair enough.  Not everyone is comfortable posting their logs.

I got your log file and I am analyzing it now.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2021, 01:47:46 PM »
Sebastian,

Can I have you turn on additional logging please?

From the Help menu, choose "Edit Debug Settings..."

In the window that appears, check for the following items.  If they're not there, enter each missing item, one at a time, into the "New debug setting:" field and click the "Add" button.

STARTUP_LOGGING
VOLUME_LOGGING
NAVIGATOR_LOGGING
NAVIGATOR_VOLUME_LOGGING

They should become checked automatically when you add them.  Restart Photo Mechanic Plus and once it starts up, get the log to me the same way you did before.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 02:13:01 PM »
yes, i hit the "forget" button and he forgot. On the other handy I can't make it to include a certain folder into my catalog even though I already scanned it several times, included it via context menu etc. It seems something's basically wrong with my installation?

There was no "VOLUME_LOGGING", so I turned all 7 options on and just send you the new file via E-Mail

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2021, 02:30:02 PM »
Sebastian,

yes, i hit the "forget" button and he forgot. On the other handy I can't make it to include a certain folder into my catalog even though I already scanned it several times, included it via context menu etc. It seems something's basically wrong with my installation?

Or something odd about the path itself.  I'd need more information to investigate.  What is special about this folder in comparison to other folders that work correctly?

There was no "VOLUME_LOGGING", so I turned all 7 options on and just send you the new file via E-Mail

Thanks.  The cause is from your Disk Cache being rather large.  Setting it to a smaller size or having it empty on quit should correct the startup issue.

Please remember to turn off all of those logging flags or you'll have very large logs in short order.

-Kirk

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2021, 02:44:08 PM »
What is special about this folder in comparison to other folders that work correctly?
Absolutely nothing, it is in the same directory as the others, same disk etc.  Maybe the tasks must be fullfilled first? What btw is a good rate of metadata and previews per second for my MBP? May it be it takes several hours to scan & "digest" 7.700 jpgs each 1,3mb ?!

The cause is from your Disk Cache being rather large.  Setting it to a smaller size or having it empty on quit should correct the startup issue.
Uff, good to know! I though "the bigger the better" after setting as you said it started quickly! I put 50% of the possible Disk Cache. Good? Where could I have found information on that?!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2021, 03:00:01 PM »
Sebastian,

What is special about this folder in comparison to other folders that work correctly?
Absolutely nothing, it is in the same directory as the others, same disk etc.  Maybe the tasks must be fullfilled first? What btw is a good rate of metadata and previews per second for my MBP? May it be it takes several hours to scan & "digest" 7.700 jpgs each 1,3mb ?!

The speed will be dictated by the type of image (JPEGs load/render the fastest, large TIFFs the slowest), and how fast the media of the disk they're stored on, and how fast the disk containing the catalog is.

Note: those statistics are based on batch sizes.  A batch of previews is ten images.  A batch of metadata is one hundred images.

The cause is from your Disk Cache being rather large.  Setting it to a smaller size or having it empty on quit should correct the startup issue.
Uff, good to know! I though "the bigger the better" after setting as you said it started quickly! I put 50% of the possible Disk Cache. Good? Where could I have found information on that?!

It pretty much says it in the Caching page of the Preferences dialog (1024MB is a good size), but it's also stated in the documentation:

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001146200-caching-preferences

-Kirk