Author Topic: Renaming with a text string only  (Read 1042 times)

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
Renaming with a text string only
« on: April 04, 2022, 11:53:16 PM »
I have multiple files, all in different folders, selected in a contact sheet & use [cmd-M] to rename them. If I enter a text string in the rename dialog the 'rename' button is greyed unless I also use a sequence or other variable. This is a nuisance as I want them all to have the same name. In PM+ I have to rename by the slower method of paste & tab which is not practical for larger numbers of files.

Kirk explained that the PM+ coding assumes that all the files to be renamed are in a single folder. This is a rather crude approach, it would be good if PM+ could recognise when a rename would lead to an overwrite and either warn or add a suffix to allow bulk renaming with a text string.

David Hoffman

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Renaming with a text string only
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 05:25:49 PM »
David,

I have multiple files, all in different folders, selected in a contact sheet & use [cmd-M] to rename them. If I enter a text string in the rename dialog the 'rename' button is greyed unless I also use a sequence or other variable. This is a nuisance as I want them all to have the same name. In PM+ I have to rename by the slower method of paste & tab which is not practical for larger numbers of files.

Kirk explained that the PM+ coding assumes that all the files to be renamed are in a single folder. This is a rather crude approach, it would be good if PM+ could recognise when a rename would lead to an overwrite and either warn or add a suffix to allow bulk renaming with a text string.

I consider this a bug and it will be fixed in the next build of Photo Mechanic/Photo Mechanic Plus.

-Kirk