Author Topic: How to find all pictures not in catalog/collection  (Read 810 times)

Offline LRAT

• View Profile
How to find all pictures not in catalog/collection
« on: August 23, 2022, 10:23:47 PM »
Hi,

I've got about 35,000 pictures in 4 active catalogs (All, Events, When and Where).
The number of pictures in my catalogs is not the same as the total amount of pictures I got in my pictures folder.
To find the missing pictures and go through this by hand will be very time consuming.
Is there a function or a search query that shows me all the pictures that are NOT inside a catalog?

Also, is there a search function that can show all the pictures with a brown dot (Pictures no longer in the master folder)?
Thanks for your help!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to find all pictures not in catalog/collection
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 09:08:44 AM »
I've got about 35,000 pictures in 4 active catalogs (All, Events, When and Where).
The number of pictures in my catalogs is not the same as the total amount of pictures I got in my pictures folder.
To find the missing pictures and go through this by hand will be very time consuming.
Is there a function or a search query that shows me all the pictures that are NOT inside a catalog?

No.  The catalog system only knows about the images that are in the catalog.

Also, is there a search function that can show all the pictures with a brown dot (Pictures no longer in the master folder)?

There is the "Select Missing" (pictures with a yellow dot, not sure what you mean by a brown dot) command on the edit menu.  Note: it is fairly slow in operation as it requires all of the metadata for the images in the contact sheet to be loaded in order to do the work.  You'd have to do a query that shows all images in your catalog.  Searching for "" (two double quotes, no characters in-between) will show all images in a catalog.

-Kirk

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 12:03:38 PM »

Just to add to Kirk's reply: It can only query things if it knows where and what files to query, and it can only know where they are by being in the catalog. However, it sounds like you know where all these pictures are, and you just want to add them to the catalog? If so, just use Scan to Catalog and point it to the folder that contains all of the images. Any images that are not yet in the catalog will be added to all Catalogs with "Add" selected.

Offline LRAT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 02:35:53 PM »
Thanks for your help guys!
This was most helpful and will save me a fair bit of time.
Cheers,

Luke