Author Topic: After Ventura PM latest Version is extreamly slow  (Read 13662 times)

Offline threiner

• View Profile
After Ventura PM latest Version is extreamly slow
« on: October 28, 2022, 02:58:32 PM »
After i updated to Ventura PM is so slow culling, it is nearly impossible to work with, it is permanently sorting the images and blocks the whole machine, to impost 120 GB takes over 2 hours, with lightroom under 10 min. When will this be fixed, this speed is not acceptable to work with... please fix it asap... Thanks

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: After Ventura PM latest Version is extreamly slow
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 03:43:54 PM »
So far we have not encountered any performance issues with Photo Mechanic on MacOS Ventura, and in order to fix a problem, we'll need to be able to reproduce it.

it is permanently sorting the images and blocks the whole machine,

What do you need to do to kick off this event (is it during Ingest? Opening a Contact Sheet of a Folder on an external hard drive? The more details the better.) What is the visual indicator that it is permanently sorting something?

to impost 120 GB takes over 2 hours, with lightroom under 10 min

Just to make sure I understand, you did an Ingest using Photo Mechanic, and then imported the same files from the same memory card using Lightroom?

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 03:54:25 PM »
So far we have not encountered any performance issues with Photo Mechanic on MacOS Ventura, and in order to fix a problem, we'll need to be able to reproduce it.

it is permanently sorting the images and blocks the whole machine,

What do you need to do to kick off this event (is it during Ingest? Opening a Contact Sheet of a Folder on an external hard drive? The more details the better.) What is the visual indicator that it is permanently sorting something?

On the right bottom is this green bar, what is constantly going from left to right, then the contact sheet changes only a few images can be seen, then for some seconds all images so far importet and then it starts over again...
to impost 120 GB takes over 2 hours, with lightroom under 10 min

Just to make sure I understand, you did an Ingest using Photo Mechanic, and then imported the same files from the same memory card using Lightroom?

yes exactly like this...

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 04:36:36 PM »
On the right bottom is this green bar, what is constantly going from left to right,

Okay, so if this problem is occurring during Ingest, then this part is normal, because as new images come in, it needs to sort the files in order to know where they are going to go on the Contact Sheet. This happens on every Ingest.

then the contact sheet changes only a few images can be seen, then for some seconds all images so far importet and then it starts over again...

It sounds like the overarching issue is that the transfer speed is slow. Lightroom being able to copy the exact same files after Photo Mechanic has  copied them may not be a fair test. There are system cache's in place that Lightroom may have been able to take advantage of or possibly some other disk activity that was utilizing bandwidth.

How many Ingests have you done where this has been an issue? What sort method are you using on the Contact Sheet while images are being Ingested?

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 03:52:34 AM »
On the right bottom is this green bar, what is constantly going from left to right,

Okay, so if this problem is occurring during Ingest, then this part is normal, because as new images come in, it needs to sort the files in order to know where they are going to go on the Contact Sheet. This happens on every Ingest.

then the contact sheet changes only a few images can be seen, then for some seconds all images so far importet and then it starts over again...

It sounds like the overarching issue is that the transfer speed is slow. Lightroom being able to copy the exact same files after Photo Mechanic has  copied them may not be a fair test. There are system cache's in place that Lightroom may have been able to take advantage of or possibly some other disk activity that was utilizing bandwidth.

The fact is it is much slower as before, the transfer speeds are not an issue, writing on the internal ssd goes with more then  1GB a second and over TB to external very similar speed, the cards doing also very well over 500 MB/s in real world.

How many Ingests have you done where this has been an issue? What sort method are you using on the Contact Sheet while images are being Ingested?

i use sorting by capture time, and i did yesterday three apinfull ingests...

Offline ahmedphotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 12:16:06 PM »
Sorry to hijack this post. I, too, am seeing very slow performance since going from Mac OS Monterey to Ventura. Ingest is fine, no issues there. But when scrolling through images, they are scrolling very slowly one by one. And not rapid fire like pre-Ventura.

Any help welcomed.

Mac OS Ventura, 2021 MBP 16 inch, 64GB Ram. PM6 Version 6.0, build 6552 (1b31032)

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 01:23:47 PM »

i have checked this again, when i transfer the contend of the memorycrad ( 90GB) with a normal copy on my computer it takes less then 5 min, with PM ist takes nearly one hour... so it nothing to do with transfer speeds is a pure PM problem!

Offline rhomberg

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Matthias Rhomberg . fotograf . photographer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 02:34:55 PM »
While performance jumping from picture to picture became super slow for me on Ventura (http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=15292.0), ingest is actually fine and just like before. Maybe the "tasks progress" stutters even a bit more and updates its count just randomly after 3 to 20 files as it ingests.

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2022, 02:53:38 PM »
here is a video showing the issue... it is very strange, i never had anything similare before, but it is very anoying.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggas2t876n6iniz/VID20221029233304.mp4?dl=0

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2022, 06:03:37 AM »
any suggestions? i did try a lot of things but cant find a solution, the transferspeeds are very fast, but as soon as PM gest involved it takes ages. impossible to work with. very frustrating

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2022, 10:57:24 AM »
any suggestions? i did try a lot of things but cant find a solution, the transferspeeds are very fast, but as soon as PM gest involved it takes ages. impossible to work with. very frustrating

Please email support@camerabits.com with a phone number and time that we can call you between 9am and 5pm Pacific Time, Monday through Friday so that we can troubleshoot with you directly.

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2022, 10:18:35 AM »
Ok i get back to you tmr, as i am on a ferry with very unstable internet at the moment

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2022, 10:29:19 AM »
here is a video showing the issue... it is very strange, i never had anything similare before, but it is very anoying.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggas2t876n6iniz/VID20221029233304.mp4?dl=0

Just following up with something I noticed: In your video the number of items on the Contact Sheet is rapidly changing: it goes from ~80 to ~90 to ~300 to ~1200 to ~360. Is some other program modifying the contents of the folder that you are Ingesting to? Ingest would only be adding files to the destination. I'd still like to troubleshoot with you directly if you are not sure why the number of files is going up and down, so do please follow up at support@camerabits.com

Offline jshfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2022, 04:18:41 PM »
I want to add that I am also experiencing this as well as weird disappearing and reappearing previews during ingest. I also have a very hard time moving more than 100 photos from Photo Mechanic to Lightroom now. And honestly my Lightrooms is running slow when importing, exporting or moving between galleries. It seems to me there is something going on with the file system for Ventura that is causing this problem. I also use another software to automatically cull photos and that is now extremely slow as well.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2022, 04:46:35 PM »
weird disappearing and reappearing previews during ingest.

Are you seeing the number of items jump around much like in the video that threiner posted?