Author Topic: How to ingest directly from Nikon Z9 w/o card reader  (Read 932 times)

Offline jeffw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to ingest directly from Nikon Z9 w/o card reader
« on: July 24, 2023, 12:57:56 PM »
Is it possible to ingest photos directly from a Nikon Z9 into Photo Mechanic (just using a USB-C to USB-C cable) ?
When I connect my Z9 to my windows computer using a USB-C to USB-C cable, I get a “Z 9” device, not a drive letter, under that there is a “Removable storage” folder -> DCIM -> 663NCZ_9 -> *.JPG *.NEF files.

The PM Ingest screen does not show the Z 9 in “Disks”, if I select “Folders” and then click “Add”, I can go to “This PC” -> “Z 9” under devices -> “Removable storage” -> DCIM -> Select Folder, nothing shows in the Ingest screen and if I blindly click on Ingest it pops up the message “No source folders selected”.  I tried using all the folders in the hierarchy, but same issue.

Is there some mode that I need to enable to have the Z 9 show up as a “Drive” ?
I’ve tried several of the network / USB options and nothing has worked yet.
(Yes, I have a multiple CFe to USB adapters that work, but always looking to travel lighter in the field or for a plan “B” if an adapter fails or something else)
— Jeff

Offline MNeipris

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: How to ingest directly from Nikon Z9 w/o card reader
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 02:19:30 PM »
No, Photo Mechanic cannot ingest files directly from a camera. A card reader is needed.
You could use Nikon's tether software, then set the tether software's destination folder as the source folder for Photo Mechanic's Live Ingest feature: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000341503-live-ingest

Offline jeffw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: How to ingest directly from Nikon Z9 w/o card reader
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 10:33:19 AM »
Thanks,
I have used tethered, with an extended USB-C cable for tethered shooting, but it does have a level of setup overhead.
Also, a easier setup / method: I can transverse down the "Z 9" Device entry, use a windows copy to a "temporary" directory on the computer and ingest that "temporary" directory, but I was looking for an easier method.... oh well.