Author Topic: IPTC information is not showing correct  (Read 3824 times)

Offline LarsSmook

• View Profile
Re: IPTC information is not showing correct
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2023, 03:31:12 AM »
Maybe this is helpful? I took two images (one with PM and one with Photoshop) and copied some of the EXIF with Metapho (exif/iptc) reader. I highlighted the differences between the two files. Maybe this tells something.

Regards,
Lars

https://www.diffchecker.com/tdmxkQsF/

Offline LarsSmook

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2023, 07:22:57 AM »
Hi Bob,

It might have found the issue... I was messing around in Lightroom and saw a dropdown menu in the export settings. Not sure what the standard setting is, but I could change it to 'All metadata', also unchecked all the boxed under the dropdown menu. It seems that this causes the issue. So far so good, but guess I need to test it for a little bit longer.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2024, 03:58:28 AM by LarsSmook »

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2023, 10:00:57 AM »
Hi Lars,

Thank you for the nice detective work in Lightroom's Export settings. I have also made some discoveries on why Photo Mechanic's metadata updates can cause the Synology Photos app not to display all of the image's metadata. If Photo Mechanic does not add any characters to the Exif Tag fields, Caption, Copyright and Photographer, then Synology Photos will not ignore all of the embedded metadata. Photo Mechanic can update any of the other fields without causing Synology Photos issues displaying the embedded metadata.

Best regards,

--Bob

Offline LarsSmook

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2023, 05:34:04 AM »
For some reason it stopped working again. I made a temporary fix with a photoshop batch action. Which edits one digit in the caption and resaves the photo. This works fine, but it’s not ideal.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2023, 11:59:47 AM »
Hi Lars,

I have discovered that the Synology Photos app will display all of Photo Mechanic's IPTC updates as long as PM doesn't add any characters to the Caption, Copyright or Photographer fields. If you need to add more characters to either of those fields, then that should be done in Photoshop. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

--Bob

Offline LarsSmook

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2023, 10:13:16 AM »
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your response and time again. I know that Photoshop might be a workaround. What I do now is follow my normal workflow and after that (normally send the image by ftp), I open the file in Photoshop, do nothing but only do a 'safe as' action. This is enough, this also works for my clients webserver.   

The reason why I use Photo Mechanic is that I really like the way how you add IPTC information and how you can sort your photos. It's my workflow for years already and normally I'm not using PS that often anymore. Did you find out what the difference is between PM and PS, is this something which could be fixed in the future?

Thanks in advantage.

Lars