Author Topic: Universal Binary "Apple Silicon" Beta  (Read 3097 times)

Offline willievass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Universal Binary "Apple Silicon" Beta
« on: June 28, 2024, 01:08:36 PM »
Truly a pity that existing legacy users of PM6 are unable to evaluate the Apple Silicon beta of PM6 with a view to purchasing a new licence if the performance is better than the emulated version.

IMHO a crazy decision to lock us out.

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Universal Binary "Apple Silicon" Beta
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2024, 01:19:10 PM »
Greetings willievass, 

We're glad you're interested. If you wish to try the Beta, you are welcome to start a new subscription and try the Beta during the 14-day free trial period. If you cancel during the 14 days, you will pay nothing at all.  You are not locked out.

We hope you give it a go and let us know how the trial went for you.

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline willievass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2024, 01:27:10 PM »
Hello Mick

When I purchase the new subscription it will be when PM7 is released and as a perpetual.

The beta is time limited until end July so why not make it available for all to test until then.

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2024, 02:02:40 PM »
I will note that there is no way to purchase a subscription license as a perpetual license. They are mutually exclusive. 

When this Apple Silicon native version of PM is released, it will be available to anyone with a subscription or who has purchased a perpetual license any time after 11 March 2024.  Note, there will not be a separate PM7.  Features are added to Photo Mechanic and Photo Mechanic Plus on a rolling basis and no longer into numbered versions. You can opt for a subscription that receives ongoing updates OR you can opt to purchase a perpetual license with 1 year of those same updates but that will run perpetually after that as long as you maintain the same hardware/OS.

There is a free option for you to try the Beta now if you wish to do that with a view toward purchasing a perpetual license later, or you can wait and purchase it after the Beta testing is over. 

Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Stuwhitt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2024, 07:11:11 AM »
So you want people so subscribe to test beta software?

Will there be an upgrade option for loyal PM customers who own perceptual licenses who's software will become useless when Rosetta is pulled?

Offline jgrove

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2024, 07:05:12 AM »
Will there be an upgrade option for loyal PM customers who own perceptual licenses who's software will become useless when Rosetta is pulled?

I was hoping for the same thing, I was surprised to find no upgrade option.

Offline ddegner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Boston Photographer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2024, 10:37:04 AM »
As someone that uses Photo Mechanic for work and all of the time I was surprised the last time I paid was 2020.  I don't need an upgrade option, paying for 1 year is well worth it.

On a second note, I'm trying the new Beta right now and it really feels snappier.  It's the same, but different.  Thanks!
Just another Photographer in Boston doing the photojournalism and commercial photography thing.  Photo Mechanic user since 2007.

Offline vale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2024, 11:36:04 AM »
As someone that uses Photo Mechanic for work and all of the time I was surprised the last time I paid was 2020.  I don't need an upgrade option, paying for 1 year is well worth it.

On a second note, I'm trying the new Beta right now and it really feels snappier.  It's the same, but different.  Thanks!

yeah, you've paid in 2020 because in 2019 ver 6 was released (after 7 years from previous). In the last 4 years, exactly, not more changed.

It's beyond my understanding why a company doesn't want all public to test their product and limits the usage just for those that already paid for it. The reason you release a public beta is because you want a big amount of data collected and reviews for getting the best final product. For example, Apple release beta versions of it's IOS software, 3 months before official launch, for everybody who wants to participate, just to be sure that at the right time, that will be a stable and good software. Here it seems that is not the case.

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2024, 03:20:51 AM »
This could've been a great opportunity for people on the edge to check and try new PM, especially native to apple silicon version, especially with built it limit on trial time.

It also must be so hard to understand that "creating a trial account for 2 weeks and then not forgetting to cancel it to avoid charges" is exactly the reason people don't want to do it.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2024, 10:26:59 AM »
Please see my reply in the Beta 2 announcement thread for how to access the beta without signing up for a trial or making a purchase: https://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=16261.msg79374#msg79374

Offline willievass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2024, 01:06:48 PM »
Please see my reply in the Beta 2 announcement thread for how to access the beta without signing up for a trial or making a purchase: https://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=16261.msg79374#msg79374
Thanks Andrew for taking note and will test it as my daily driver for the next few weeks and report any issues.

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2024, 01:49:54 PM »

I think we started moving in the right direction here!

Offline vale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2024, 11:58:07 PM »
yeah after 1. not a lot of users 'beta test' the new version (because they don't know or don't want to go expensive subscription route); 2. they actually read the forum and decides that users are right (at what point they will reach the same conclusion of pricing?) 3. both

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2024, 05:53:52 AM »
Well...

We got the Apple Silicon, in beta, but we got there
We got to beta test it without subscription which is a great thing
Still on the list
1. Adjust pricing, so that PM is not the most expensive app subscription in the kit (price it like Adobe Photography Plan and I'll subscribe tomorrow, even knowing there is nothing new yet)
2. Introduce upgrade paths for loyal users
3. Rip off everything great from every competitor app
4. Fix bugs and stuff
5. Profit :)

6. Find a better SMM so that your instagram is more engaging and useful, with actual tips and trick on the platform, not "find link inside link inside link in bio"
7. Bring back webinars with working pros sharing their workflows, and not just sports photographers

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2024, 10:41:41 AM »
Just to make sure:
This beta will only run on Apple's Silicon machines, not on Intel?
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio