Author Topic: PM ratings compatible with iPhoto  (Read 5551 times)

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • Morten Vassing│Photojournalist
PM ratings compatible with iPhoto
« on: December 03, 2007, 02:29:29 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Being new to Mac, I have separated my work NEF files to PM and LR and my personal point and shoot JPEGs to iPhoto.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.5.1, PM 4.5.2 and iPhoto 7.1.1 and my star ratings on JPEGs in PM (using Tools>Update IPTC/XMP>Read IPTC/XMP from JPEG) will not show up in iPhoto. Also, my rotating files in PM is defunct in iPhoto.

I searced PM Forums for iPhoto entries to no avail.
Morten Vassing│Photojournalist - COPENHAGEN│Denmark - Nikon D3│MacBook Pro │ Mac OS X (10.8)│PM5

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM ratings compatible with iPhoto
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 06:28:58 AM »
Morten,

Being new to Mac, I have separated my work NEF files to PM and LR and my personal point and shoot JPEGs to iPhoto.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.5.1, PM 4.5.2 and iPhoto 7.1.1 and my star ratings on JPEGs in PM (using Tools>Update IPTC/XMP>Read IPTC/XMP from JPEG) will not show up in iPhoto. Also, my rotating files in PM is defunct in iPhoto.

I searced PM Forums for iPhoto entries to no avail.

I really don't know how iPhoto does its ratings, but it is likely not the way Adobe does it (and we do them.)  As for rotations, most point-and-shoot cameras do not have an orientation sensor, thus they also do not write out an EXIF orientation tag (which if present PM would update) so PM writes this information to the end of the JPEG file.

-Kirk

Offline thermarest

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 08:50:09 AM »
Does iPhoto take its keywords from the IPTC keyword field? If so, you could apply a keyword like "1-Star" to your images, then that keyword would transfer over to iPhoto.

But as long as you have lightroom, why not use it for your personal jpegs as well?

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • Morten Vassing│Photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 08:56:48 AM »
Right,

I guess I wanted to take advantage of the seamless integration of iPhoto and my .Mac account and have complete separation of work files and all the cute baby pictures that the wifey wants me to post online or send out for easy printing.

I will give it a second thought and perhaps create a separate Lightroom Catalog for family stuff.

Best,

Morten Vassing
Morten Vassing│Photojournalist - COPENHAGEN│Denmark - Nikon D3│MacBook Pro │ Mac OS X (10.8)│PM5