Author Topic: Printing  (Read 3688 times)

Offline lawrencehare

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Printing
« on: December 30, 2007, 09:42:07 AM »
I feel a right idiot asking this but either I am getting past it or something right weird is going on. I recently bought an HP L7680 printer. I needed this as I needed a printer that all could share, our PCs and Macs together, in this regard it is working very well. When I first installed it I was able to print 4x6 borderless prints, but for some reason that totally escapes me I have lost that ability.

The HP Photosmart Studio that came with the printer keeps telling me that the paper I have chosen does not have a borderless option, even though I set all the options available to "print borderless," it refuses to do so. I seem unable to print in Photo Mechanic, all I get are thumbnails. Is it possible to print borderless 4x6 from Photo Mechanic?

I am using a Mac with Leopard, 10.5.1, and I cannot remember ever having these difficulties before, even from a PC, but right now I am totally unable to print photos. Any help would be very gladly received.

Thanks - Lawrence

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Printing
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:53:06 AM »
Lawrence,

I feel a right idiot asking this but either I am getting past it or something right weird is going on. I recently bought an HP L7680 printer. I needed this as I needed a printer that all could share, our PCs and Macs together, in this regard it is working very well. When I first installed it I was able to print 4x6 borderless prints, but for some reason that totally escapes me I have lost that ability.

The HP Photosmart Studio that came with the printer keeps telling me that the paper I have chosen does not have a borderless option, even though I set all the options available to "print borderless," it refuses to do so. I seem unable to print in Photo Mechanic, all I get are thumbnails. Is it possible to print borderless 4x6 from Photo Mechanic?

I am using a Mac with Leopard, 10.5.1, and I cannot remember ever having these difficulties before, even from a PC, but right now I am totally unable to print photos. Any help would be very gladly received.

I don't know the specifics of your printer, but it sounds like you are telling Photo Mechanic to print a Contact Sheet.  There are two tabs in the Print dialog: Contact Sheets and Proofs.  You want to print Proofs.  Just click on the Proofs tab and set your options and print away.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline lawrencehare

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 01:14:40 PM »
Thanks for your reply, that does help. But is there a way in Photo Mechanic to fill the entire 4x6 sheet? For example, in the Preview application that comes with OS-X there is a print option labeled "Fill Entire paper" which expands the picture to cover the entire 4x6 page. This is extremely useful as my camera is sometimes set to picture resolutions that do not scale to fit 4x6, yet by selecting this option the center of the picture gets printed on a 4x6 sheet without having to do any sizing of the file before sending it to the printer..

Thanks - Lawrence

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 09:18:51 PM »
Lawrence,

Thanks for your reply, that does help. But is there a way in Photo Mechanic to fill the entire 4x6 sheet? For example, in the Preview application that comes with OS-X there is a print option labeled "Fill Entire paper" which expands the picture to cover the entire 4x6 page. This is extremely useful as my camera is sometimes set to picture resolutions that do not scale to fit 4x6, yet by selecting this option the center of the picture gets printed on a 4x6 sheet without having to do any sizing of the file before sending it to the printer..

No, there is no such feature.

-Kirk

Offline lawrencehare

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 12:33:25 PM »
Thank you - may we add it for future consideration?

Lawrence

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 02:25:12 PM »
Lawrence,

Thank you - may we add it for future consideration?

How about just setting 4x6 crops on your images before you print them?  Then you get to decide what image data is lost when printing instead of some simple centering algorithm...

-Kirk