Author Topic: Mystery: Auto application of color class to new photos  (Read 3164 times)

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Mystery: Auto application of color class to new photos
« on: January 15, 2008, 11:11:18 PM »
Using PM 4.5.3 on Mac OS 10.4.11:

This is a new/recent behavior that I have never seen until very recently.

1. I use PM to sort my RAWs into folders, such as "selects" and "non-selects" within a parent folder for a given event.
2. I create a "jpegs" folder in same parent folder.
3. I use Bridge and Photoshop CS3 to do ACR adjustments and then batch the JPEGs out into the "jpegs" folder.
4. Now, the new thing: I am seeing Color Class being automatically applied to the new JPEG files I just saved.

I find this very weird. I have not discerned the exact pattern yet, but I have a start... Bridge has some role in this, but the origin of what appears in Bridge is probably from PM... Example: I have 707 RAW files in a folder for a particular job. They all have corresponding XMP sidecar files. I have sorted them in PM to arrive at the 707 (others have been removed to other folders)... When I view the same folder of images in Bridge, Bridge identifies 367 of them as "Winner" and 340 of them as "No Label.".... However: I have no corresponding group of 367 photos in any Color Class or tag in PM. Thus this is somewhat of a mystery... It make enough sense that Bridge would apply the same label to the new JPEG that it sees in the source file, BUT where is Bridge getting that source label from???

Thanks,
David

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 11:27:06 PM by david_hill »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Mystery: Auto application of color class to new photos
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 11:29:19 PM »
David,

Using PM 4.5.3 on Mac OS 10.4.11:

This is a new/recent behavior that I have never seen until very recently.

1. I use PM to sort my RAWs into folders, such as "selects" and "non-selects" within a parent folder for a given event.
2. I create a "jpegs" folder in same parent folder.
3. I use Bridge and Photoshop CS3 to do ACR adjustments and then batch the JPEGs out into the "jpegs" folder.
4. Now, the new thing: I am seeing Color Class being automatically applied to the new JPEG files I just saved.

I find this very weird. I have not discerned the exact pattern yet, but I have a start... Bridge has some role in this, but the origin of what appears in Bridge is probably from PM... Example: I have 707 RAW files in a folder for a particular job. They all have corresponding XMP sidecar files. I have sorted them in PM to arrive at the 707 (others have been removed to other folders)... When I view the same folder of images in Bridge, Bridge identifies 367 of them as "Winner" and 340 of them as "No Label.".... However: I have no corresponding group of 367 photos in any Color Class or tag in PM. Thus this is somewhat of a mystery... It make enough sense that Bridge would apply the same label to the new JPEG that it sees in the source file, BUT where is Bridge getting that source label from???

When sorting with PM, are you setting a color class on any of the images?

-Kirk

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery: Auto application of color class to new photos
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 11:35:42 PM »
Yes, I use color class 1 ("winner") most often. On the batch in question, I used only "winner" and the tag/untag.

Thus it's easy to imagine that Adobe is lifting "winner" from my files, but the very odd thing is that they are lifting it from a "past state" of the files, as the number of "winners" in the present reality is not the same number that Bridge is perceiving... I will post here if I discern the source of the mystery number.

... I can also add that the source of the mystery number is not the number of shots taken by any one camera body or camera model. In this case, 3 different camera bodies were used, which also happened to be 3 different models, and the number don't correspond to that.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 11:39:11 PM by david_hill »