Author Topic: Incremental ingest problem  (Read 4237 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Incremental ingest problem
« on: June 26, 2008, 06:22:14 PM »
I've used incremental ingest many times, mostly successfully.  Occasionally it doesn't work and starts ingesting the entire contents of the card.  I suspect that this may be my fault when I have removed the card from the reader before unmounting it.  After this happened twice, I have since used the unmount source disk after ingest option.

Two questions: Is there a way to mark files on a card as already ingested (other than ingesting them)?  Is there a way to ingest only selected files on the source card?

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Incremental ingest problem
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 06:37:25 PM »
Deven,

I've used incremental ingest many times, mostly successfully.  Occasionally it doesn't work and starts ingesting the entire contents of the card.  I suspect that this may be my fault when I have removed the card from the reader before unmounting it.  After this happened twice, I have since used the unmount source disk after ingest option.

Did you format the card in the camera?  That would wipe out our marker.

Quote from: devenh
Two questions: Is there a way to mark files on a card as already ingested (other than ingesting them)?  Is there a way to ingest only selected files on the source card?

The answer to both is 'no', unfortunately.  At some point I want to add an 'Ingest from Selection' command where you would browse the card and select the items you are interested in, and then issue the command.

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 07:31:04 PM »

No.  I had an 8gb card in one camera and a 2gb card in a P&S camera and would daily ingest the photos.  This worked fine for a couple of days, but eventually PM started in ingest all the photos on the cards.  The only way I could get around this was to manually copy the new photos from the card to my laptop and then put fresh cards into the cameras (I had plenty of cards and wanted to keep a complete set of photos on my laptop and on my cards (which ruled out reformatting them)).

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 08:50:05 PM »
Deven,

No.  I had an 8gb card in one camera and a 2gb card in a P&S camera and would daily ingest the photos.  This worked fine for a couple of days, but eventually PM started in ingest all the photos on the cards.  The only way I could get around this was to manually copy the new photos from the card to my laptop and then put fresh cards into the cameras (I had plenty of cards and wanted to keep a complete set of photos on my laptop and on my cards (which ruled out reformatting them)).

It sounds like at some point the .pmingest.dat file was lost and thus PM didn't recognize the cards, or possibly something caused the cache to be emptied of the ingest database.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 03:26:18 AM »

Quote from: devenh

The answer to both is 'no', unfortunately.  At some point I want to add an 'Ingest from Selection' command where you would browse the card and select the items you are interested in, and then issue the command.

You may tag the files you want ingested (or tag all and untag those you don't want/allready ingested) and do an ingest only tagged images...
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.hu