Author Topic: PM 4.6 and existing GPS coordinates/photo geotags  (Read 3669 times)

Offline rowlandr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • RobinRowland.com
PM 4.6 and existing GPS coordinates/photo geotags
« on: February 20, 2009, 09:14:19 PM »
I have been geotagging my images for the past six months but don't see the geotagging  if I look at an existing image in Photo Mechanic 4.6 beta.
I have been using a Garmin Extrex Legend (which is a hiking model). My first major effort at geotagging was during a hiking and photo trip to Wales last summer where I tagged a couple of thousand images over two weeks,
Export from the Garmin using GPS Utility and then importing and tagging (to the EXIF file as far as I can tell) using Copik Photo Mapper (a freeware program I know a lot of people have used up until now).
It's a bit of a round about way of doing things but it has worked well and can be done quite quickly.
The geotagging can be seen in properties when viewed in Google Picassa (as well as in Photo Mapper)

I seen earlier questions about GPS which refer to the XML file.

Is this the same system, are the two compatible or am I missing something in 4.6.

(I am using the Windows version)
(Can send you a sample image if you need to see one)

thanks

Robin
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 09:15:56 PM by rowlandr »
Robin Rowland
Photographer and Author

http://robinrowland.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 4.6 and existing GPS coordinates/photo geotags
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 09:52:34 PM »
Robin,

I have been geotagging my images for the past six months but don't see the geotagging  if I look at an existing image in Photo Mechanic 4.6 beta.
I have been using a Garmin Extrex Legend (which is a hiking model). My first major effort at geotagging was during a hiking and photo trip to Wales last summer where I tagged a couple of thousand images over two weeks,
Export from the Garmin using GPS Utility and then importing and tagging (to the EXIF file as far as I can tell) using Copik Photo Mapper (a freeware program I know a lot of people have used up until now).
It's a bit of a round about way of doing things but it has worked well and can be done quite quickly.
The geotagging can be seen in properties when viewed in Google Picassa (as well as in Photo Mapper)

I seen earlier questions about GPS which refer to the XML file.

Is this the same system, are the two compatible or am I missing something in 4.6.

(I am using the Windows version)
(Can send you a sample image if you need to see one)

How is it that you're trying to see the GPS data in your photos?  With the GPS Map?  With the GPS-related variables in the Info Text?

-Kirk

Offline rowlandr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • RobinRowland.com
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 10:44:27 AM »
Robin,

[
How is it that you're trying to see the GPS data in your photos?  With the GPS Map?  With the GPS-related variables in the Info Text?

-Kirk

Kirk

The coordinates, longitude, latitude and altitude do not appear in Info Text.
On the map, the new beta appears to have approved the situation.   I am not sure if this comes from the new beta upgrade or not or if there has been an improvement in the connection with Google.
On the older version, the map area was blank and remained that way.   When the new version, it was blank for a while, then suddenly the map appeared.  It may be therefore, that there was/is some difficulty in establishing a connection with Google.  It appears that once the initial Google connection is established then PM 4.6 does talk to Google throughout that session and subsequent sessions.

Problems and recommendations

1. The File menu is confusing, since you are both viewing as well as importing GPS (and will be confusing for new users in the future) I would make the file menu choice either simply
"GPS" or "Import or View GPS coodinates." (I had initially looked under the view menu before clicking on import. Or you could add a View GeoTags option to the view menu)
2. On  photos that are not tagged Google defaults to Palo Alto California, Google HQ. User should be able to set their own default location on the map.

Feature request

There should be the ability to Geotag from the map itself,either because you weren't running a GPS at the time or if the GPS location is inaccurate. (the GPS can be off by up to 50 metres at times. It is worse in the downtown core of major cities where the signals from the GPS bounce off major high rise office towers and in that situation the location can be off by much more   Google Picassa already allows you to do this.

thanks
Robin Rowland
Photographer and Author

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 11:21:44 AM »

Feature request

There should be the ability to Geotag from the map itself,either because you weren't running a GPS at the time or if the GPS location is inaccurate. (the GPS can be off by up to 50 metres at times. It is worse in the downtown core of major cities where the signals from the GPS bounce off major high rise office towers and in that situation the location can be off by much more   Google Picassa already allows you to do this.

thanks

Hi Robin,

Under the "IMAGE" menu there is a feature called "Set GPS Coordinates..."  this lets you enter the GPS coordinates from the map.

Ron
My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline rowlandr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • RobinRowland.com
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 01:10:59 PM »

Hi Robin,

Under the "IMAGE" menu there is a feature called "Set GPS Coordinates..."  this lets you enter the GPS coordinates from the map.

Ron

Ron

Thanks that does work. But the separation of the two functions is certainly one area that would be confusing to even an experienced user (like me  :)   )
The two functions should be together or there should be links between the two.
Also interestingly the Set Coordinates seems to default to Portland Oregon (wonder why :-)  ) and while you can type in a name of a city like Toronto, there should be the ability to set your own default location.
thanks

Robin
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 01:46:51 PM by rowlandr »
Robin Rowland
Photographer and Author

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 05:10:21 PM »
Robin,

The coordinates, longitude, latitude and altitude do not appear in Info Text.

Have you added the GPS-related {variables} to your Info Text?  Use Edit->Settings->Set Info Text to edit your Info Text and add any or all of the GPS-related variables.

-Kirk