Author Topic: OS X 10.6 Snow Leapard Support  (Read 42046 times)

Offline marlin43

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: OS X 10.6 Snow Leapard Support
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 09:13:21 AM »
I submitted a support issue today.  I am also getting painfully slow ingesting of images from the fw800 card reader. ???

Offline jah313

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 10:32:07 AM »
I hve tried ingesting with FW800, FW400 and USB 2.0 and they are all painfully sluggish.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 10:58:28 AM »
I hve tried ingesting with FW800, FW400 and USB 2.0 and they are all painfully sluggish.

I tried about 1 GB of images and timed them on USB 2.0 with both Snow Leopard and Tiger.  The time difference was about 20 seconds.  Ten seconds of that time difference was unmounting the disk when the Ingest completed (for some reason asking the OS to eject a disk is taking about ten seconds.)

What part of the Ingest operation is slow?  The initial scanning of the disk?  The actual copying of the data?  Refreshing the contact sheet?

How long are the Ingests taking, and for how much data?

-Kirk

Offline jah313

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 11:06:20 AM »
I had about 1.2 GB on a disk and put it on FW800 when it got to 5 minutes I quit and tried USB 2.0 with about the same speed. I am on a 2009 MacBook Pro. It was the actual copying of data. Each photo was taking 1-2 second to ingest.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 11:24:23 AM »
I had about 1.2 GB on a disk and put it on FW800 when it got to 5 minutes I quit and tried USB 2.0 with about the same speed. I am on a 2009 MacBook Pro. It was the actual copying of data. Each photo was taking 1-2 second to ingest.

What camera are the images from?  What operations are you doing during the Ingest?  (renaming, IPTC Stationery Pad application, etc.?)

-Kirk

Offline jah313

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 11:31:33 AM »
I am using Nikon D3's with JPG fine as the size of the image. Each image is 4-5MB.

During ingest, I am renaming the files, adding an IPTC stationary pad and then auto ejecting the disk when done. 2.53GHz Intel Core2 Duo with 4GB of ram and over 100GB on the HD.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 11:36:52 AM »
I am using Nikon D3's with JPG fine as the size of the image. Each image is 4-5MB.

During ingest, I am renaming the files, adding an IPTC stationary pad and then auto ejecting the disk when done. 2.53GHz Intel Core2 Duo with 4GB of ram and over 100GB on the HD.

If you restart your computer and then insert your card and use the Finder to copy all of the images, how long does the Finder take?  (Restarting the computer will ensure that none of the data on the card is cached in your computer's memory which would invalidate the test.)

-Kirk

Offline jah313

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 11:41:08 AM »
The Finder is blazing fast, which I tried earlier. I will reboot when my files are done copying to the server.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 11:42:53 AM »
The Finder is blazing fast, which I tried earlier. I will reboot when my files are done copying to the server.

Please time it with a stopwatch or at least use the menubar clock and enable seconds display.  I believe you that it is faster, I just want to know how much faster.

-Kirk

Offline jah313

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 05:12:36 PM »
Kirk,

I just got around to trying everything again after a re-boot and everything was fast as normal. 2GB took about 2 minutes and 20 seconds with renaming and auto IPTC pad.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Drew

Offline etrigan63

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 07:08:02 PM »
I have noticed that when the ingest dialog box comes up, it's really slow due to two new network discs showing up (that didn't exist in Leopard): home (empty) and net (empty). If I click on them and try to unmount them, I get "disc in use" errors. I have attached a screengrab of the Ingestion dialog box.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 08:49:28 PM »
I have noticed that when the ingest dialog box comes up, it's really slow due to two new network discs showing up (that didn't exist in Leopard): home (empty) and net (empty). If I click on them and try to unmount them, I get "disc in use" errors. I have attached a screengrab of the Ingestion dialog box.

I don't see those on my Snow Leopard system.  Where do they come from?

If you want PM to ignore those volumes and you have access to create files/folders on them, you can add a folder at the root called PMIngestIgnore and Ingest will skip that volume.

-Kirk

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 10:47:01 PM »
Hi,

I do have these folders in PM and in every software, that shows the explorertree to search data. But they are not visible in the finder.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline etrigan63

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 11:44:58 PM »
and I cannot create folders in them even from the command line using sudo.

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 11:51:29 PM »
Hi,

maybe PM and other programs do not interpretate Snow Leopards flag for these drives in the right way.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio