Author Topic: Acitve D-Lighting  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Paul J

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Acitve D-Lighting
« on: April 18, 2011, 04:02:56 AM »
I'm using version 4.6.6 of Photo Mechanic on Windows XP. In the info box, where you can list Date, Time, Exposure etc, is there a setting which will show if the ACTIVE D-LIGHTING has been used - a feature on the Nikon D700..

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Acitve D-Lighting
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 05:45:56 AM »
Paul,

I'm using version 4.6.6 of Photo Mechanic on Windows XP. In the info box, where you can list Date, Time, Exposure etc, is there a setting which will show if the ACTIVE D-LIGHTING has been used - a feature on the Nikon D700..

No, there isn't any variable in PM that displays that information.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:33:13 AM »

Paul,
In this respect, check a thread I started sometime ago on the Info Box:
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=6216.msg28564#msg28564
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 02:20:55 PM »
I understand Kirk's point completely, but users have repeatedly sought to access camera (or manufacturer) specific fields and there ought to be a way a user can do that.  Here's one way it could work that I posted two years ago:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4239.0

Deven

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:39:44 PM »
I understand Kirk's point completely, but users have repeatedly sought to access camera (or manufacturer) specific fields and there ought to be a way a user can do that.  Here's one way it could work that I posted two years ago:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4239.0

Deven

PM can't be all things to all people. If Camera Bits tried to do that, the software would get bloated, unstable and slow. I don't want that.

There is a way for a user to view this data, and do a number of other tasks that have been suggested: Get Specialized Software. In this case, EXIF Tool or Opanda would do the trick in getting at that more obscure exif data. If you need a special tool to do something else, there are plenty out there. But please, don't screw up PM by making it a jack of all trades and master of none.

Mick

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 05:19:21 AM »
Now what would be very cool and fun is to have a capability in Photo Mechanic of calling EXIF Tool while providing it an image file path and command line argument and having the result available in Photo Mechanic as a collection of variables.  This would be provided in a "use at your own risk" manner by Camera Bits.  

I could see me and others figuring out what the camera maker variables are for specific makes, models, etc. and sharing in this discussion forum the methods for making them available in PM.    

I immediately would seek out ways of getting focus distance as I'd find that a useful value to know when looking at images and assessing lens performance.

Cheers,
Peter

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 01:35:44 PM »
Hi,
Even though I understand and agree that PM cannot be a "jack of all trades", I would like to be able to somehow acess Exiftool information from within PM. I have read the instructions they put on their site and found it a bit confusing and difficult to use if one does not master the use of the terminal in the Mac.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi