Author Topic: Mac lion 10.7  (Read 41030 times)

Offline pomeli

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Mac lion 10.7
« on: June 11, 2011, 12:23:14 AM »
Hello,
Is photo mechanic 4.6.7 work with the new Mac OSX 10.7 ? Or, you need to do a new version of photo mechanic ?

Thank you,

Pomeli

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Mac lion 10.7
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 12:46:08 AM »
Pomeli,

Is photo mechanic 4.6.7 work with the new Mac OSX 10.7 ? Or, you need to do a new version of photo mechanic ?

In our testing, most of Photo Mechanic works fine with Mac OS X 10.7, but some parts like the Slideshow and the File/Folder picker dialogs have issues.  We'll be coming out with a 4.6.8 version that either disables the problematic features or has added workarounds.

I suggest not upgrading to any new OS until at least two or three updates come out unless you're purchasing a Mac after the release of Mac OS X 10.7 and you have no choice.

-Kirk

sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 05:10:03 PM »
I suggest not upgrading to any new OS until at least two or three updates come out unless you're purchasing a Mac after the release of Mac OS X 10.7 and you have no choice.

That is not a practical suggestion and not very realistic either. Mac software developers have plenty of time to get their software updated to work with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). People that want or need the new features in Lion will upgrade. Photo Mechanic should be ready in either case.

Scott

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 05:40:43 PM »
When you get bugs that corrupt your CF cards (like in 10.4) you'll wish you hadn't upgraded so soon.  10.4.1 solved that problem.  Early adopters had to endure that bug.  Caveat emptor.

When your business needs dictate that you don't have downtime in your workflow it is prudent to at least upgrade on a different partition or another hard drive altogether and if you have problems you can easily switch back until the problems are addressed.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 05:59:10 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 10:46:09 AM »
Thanks for the tip.
I will for sure wait for the 4.6.8 version of PM before upgrading to Mac Lion (I cannot run any unnecessary risks).
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 05:10:09 AM »

That is not a practical suggestion and not very realistic either. Mac software developers have plenty of time to get their software updated to work with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). People that want or need the new features in Lion will upgrade. Photo Mechanic should be ready in either case.

Scott

We always wait for a few weeks, at least, before upgrading any software unless it hinders our work flow.
Then we search the relevant forums to make sure we're not loading a booby trap.
We learned this the hard way with Nikon software and upgrading too soon to Panther.
As for Lion I'm sure we'll wait several months. While software developers may have 'plenty of time' to write the upgrade required they may have other priorities....
Adobe, particularly Nikon and many printer drivers immediately come to mind as not being ready for primetime....
While we wish it wasn't so, this seems imminently practical to us.
Marc

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 05:43:17 AM »
What if someone buys a new MAC after Lion is released and the new machine comes only with Lion as operating system?
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:03:47 AM »
Sven,

What if someone buys a new MAC after Lion is released and the new machine comes only with Lion as operating system?

All of the issues Marc listed apply.  Some software may not work correctly or at all.  Hopefully someone who buys a computer that has a brand-new OS doesn't need it as their only computer and can ease it into service.

Would it be ideal that all software packages would be ready for a new OS prior to its release?  Yes.  Is that the reality?  No.  Often it is the drivers that take the longest to become available.  But even software like PM can be affected by updated OSes.  One of the reasons for the long life-cycle of version 4.6 was the release of Mac OS X 10.6.  While PM wasn't crashing on 10.6, its performance when Ingesting was poor.  There was a single routine that PM relied upon for 'path conversion' that took two seconds to execute the first time it was used on a file.  On 10.5 and earlier this routine took a few milliseconds to execute.  It was a bug in the 10.6 OS.  Since it wasn't going to be fixed by Apple anytime soon, I created a set of workarounds to never call that routine, but the changes were extensive and took weeks to engineer and test.

We'll do our best, but in the one case that we know is a crasher on 10.7, it is a third-party library that crashes when PM uses it.  A bug has already been filed with the developer.  If it looks like they won't be fixing it in time then we'll take on the extra engineering expense (and hardware expense) and try to fix it ourselves.  If that isn't practical then we'll disable that part of PM when run on Mac OS X 10.7.  While a feature will be missing in this case, at least it won't crash.  A later update would restore the functionality.

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 07:13:04 AM »
Kirk,

thanks for your explanation!
I was just thinking what happens when a Mac(book) crashes, a user need to have PM running again very fast and the new Mac only has Lion...

Anyway, I will update to Lion soon after it is released and I am happy to give an extensive feedback on how PM and Lion work together.

Sven

PS: If anyone likes something to be tested by me with PM 4.6.7, CS5 and Lion, please send me a message. I am happy to assist.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 07:30:47 AM »
Sven,

thanks for your explanation!
I was just thinking what happens when a Mac(book) crashes, a user need to have PM running again very fast and the new Mac only has Lion...

Anyway, I will update to Lion soon after it is released and I am happy to give an extensive feedback on how PM and Lion work together.

Sven

PS: If anyone likes something to be tested by me with PM 4.6.7, CS5 and Lion, please send me a message. I am happy to assist.

I wouldn't recommend your upgrading as soon as it is released unless you have other systems to rely upon.

That said, stay away from the Slideshow in PM, and change the preference to run Navigation Services dialogs in a separate process to un-checked.

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 07:34:56 AM »
That said, stay away from the Slideshow in PM, and change the preference to run Navigation Services dialogs in a separate process to un-checked.

Thanks Kirk!
I am not using the slideshow and I will remember (bookmark) this thread until I am upgrading (doing a clean install then) to Lion.

Sven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 07:43:59 AM »
Sven,

Thanks Kirk!
I am not using the slideshow and I will remember (bookmark) this thread until I am upgrading (doing a clean install then) to Lion.

Just curious, what features in Lion are making you want to upgrade so quickly?

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 07:50:34 AM »
Just curious, what features in Lion are making you want to upgrade so quickly?

The new gestures, improved mail app, versioning with autosave are the main reasons for me.
(And for sure the "kid in me")

Sven

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 07:14:36 AM »
As for me, the only tempting reason would be the autosave function...that really appeals to me (I think the gestures will be confusing - using three fingers, etc.).
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline nevetsokyeron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • steven noreyko :: photographer
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 10:35:45 PM »
FWIW - I'm seriously due for a laptop upgrade and was planning on buying a new one when Lion shipped. Then I would have a nice clean install of the new OS. Not having to deal with system update cruft is nice.

Yes - I assume this could lead to some issues with existing software, but someone has to find those bugs, right? :)