Author Topic: PM 4.6.9 beta will expire on May 30th.. and now ???  (Read 7368 times)

Offline Andy Stuttgart

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Andy Ridder Fotografie
PM 4.6.9 beta will expire on May 30th.. and now ???
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:05:03 AM »
Hi,

PM 4.6.9 beta will expire  on May 30th (today) .. and now ???  :'(

Andy

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
Re: PM 4.6.9 beta will expire on May 30th.. and now ???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »
Being in NZ my copy has already expired (12 hours ago).

Peter
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:05:34 PM by pshrutpark »

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:34:27 PM »
Received the beta 4 update.

Thanks Kirk et al

Peter

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
Getting tired of updating this version every 20 days and clicking through the annoying reminder dialog every time I start PM.

Please finish this and move on to V5 or at least get rid of the dialog or expiration date.

Mick

Offline Andy Stuttgart

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Andy Ridder Fotografie
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:00:41 PM »
Get the beta 4 update this moment ...

Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 11:35:01 PM »
Mick,

Getting tired of updating this version every 20 days and clicking through the annoying reminder dialog every time I start PM.

Please finish this and move on to V5 or at least get rid of the dialog or expiration date.

I suggest that you stick with PM 4.6.8 until PM 4.6.9 is released in its final form.

-Kirk

Offline Micha

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 04:08:45 PM »
@ Kirk
I really loved your E-Mail support, but I don't agree with Camera Bits "Information Policy", this is totally ridiculous ... since October 2011 you are announcing in great letters on our homepage the V5 in early 2012 ... now it`s June 2012 and we are going from one beta 4.6.9 after the other.

I would prefer to get a clear statement, when a V5 has to be expected ... no concrete date needed, but a time-horizon and a corrected announcement! Regarding this I feel and think like forum-user "mklass" but your answer to his statement was not very user friendly!

I tell you, I would never have installed a beta version if I did not had the thought, that a final solution is near - having your announcement of "early 2012" in mind!!!

And please be aware, that you are living at the end of the time-zone! Now it is the second time, that your following beta comes, when the time-zone of the previous beta expired in Europe. Look at the globus and take into account, that in Asia and Europe time-zones are ending earlier than in your hemisphere.

I am very dissapointed about the information policy regarding to camera bits!!! The main reason why I installed the beta was, that I still have memory-issues with NEF-folders with more than 1.000 pictures (I E-Mailed this to you) - with Windows 7, 64bit an 8 GM Ram ... my expectation was, when I read the announcement to the first 4.6.9beta, that may be the problems are solved, but this was not. And now I am going from one beta after the other, running out in Europe earlier than the following beta ...

On the other hand: Photomechanics is a great software, but I realized, that it seems to one be of the early area of 32bit applications and now its difficult to switch to 64bit ... but you have to do so!!!

Nice greetings from good old Europe
Micha
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 04:21:40 PM by Micha »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 04:23:49 PM »
Micha,

And please be aware, that you are living at the end of the time-zone! Now it is the second time, that your following beta comes, when the time-zone of the previous beta expired in Europe. Look at the globus and take into account, that in Asia and Europe time-zones are ending earlier than in your hemisphere.

I am very dissapointed about the information policy regarding to camera bits!!! The main reason why I installed the beta was, that I still have memory-issues with NEF-folders with more than 1.000 pictures (I E-Mailed this to you) - with Window 7, 64bit an 8 GM Ram ... my expectiation was, when I read the announcement to the first 4.6.9beta, that may be the problems are solved, but this was not. And now I am going from one beta after the other, running out in Europe earlier than the following beta ...

I apologize for not getting the beta out sooner (before it expired for anyone, regardless of world locale) but we wanted to address the issues people were reporting with their new D800 and 5D Mark III cameras and we ended up working late into the night (about 11 PM PST) before the work was completed.  Then we had to let our internal testers give us the go ahead on making the installer public.  This all took longer than anticipated.

-Kirk

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 12:05:58 AM »
I never understood this issue. Do you guys really run beta versions on your production machines??? I did my share of beta testing for PM, but I never did it on production machines. I simply can't afford to come to race or match, where I need to send photos on deadline and then bother with beta software, which probably have some bugs (if it wouldn't then it mostly likely wouldn't be beta version ;)).  So I did my testing at home or in office. And for that, I really don't care if beta version expires, and new one comes only day or two later. Big deal, for paid work, I still have stable, but a bit older, version running on my production machine anyway.
So I really don't see what's such a big deal with expiring beta version. Sure I would like to see PM v5 too, but I don't mind if it takes another few months before they put it out, just that it will be as bug free as all versions of PM until now were.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 06:19:27 AM »
Primoz,

For some people, the betas are critical in that they fix a specific issue that they experience with the prior release version.  Having to downgrade to the release version that exhibits particular flaws for them is cause for concern.

Unless we hear from people that there are still major issues with a particular camera model soon, we will be making beta 4 the final release version (minus some logging.)

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
PM 4.6.9 beta will expire on May 30th.. and now ???
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 08:26:18 AM »
How soon?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »
I think two weeks should suffice.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 10:28:18 PM »
I have another problem with the V4.6.x updates. I renewed my lisence last August based on the "V5" will be released early 2012 statements ... as it looks like my update window will be well expired before we will see v5 ...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 12:36:31 AM »
Juerg,

I have another problem with the V4.6.x updates. I renewed my lisence last August based on the "V5" will be released early 2012 statements ... as it looks like my update window will be well expired before we will see v5 ...

If you were on version 4.5 then you purchased an upgrade to 4.6 which was a substantial upgrade from version 4.5.  You may still get version 5.0 on that same upgrade.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 03:10:29 PM »
Kirk,

It's true, v4.6 was an upgrade I don't regret doing. I just hoped that v5 (and the cataloge module, which will be extra add on, I'm aware of that) would be released within the year. But as you indicated, I still hope I will be able to get v5 with the same upgrade :-).

Juerg

Juerg,

If you were on version 4.5 then you purchased an upgrade to 4.6 which was a substantial upgrade from version 4.5.  You may still get version 5.0 on that same upgrade.

-Kirk