Author Topic: jumping to sound files  (Read 24931 times)

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
jumping to sound files
« on: August 11, 2013, 03:16:00 AM »
I often record when an incident has just occurred during sport.  If I select by "sound" the files are isolated in a group. In a perfect world an option to display the "sound" frame central with surrounding frames in place would allow for picking the best shot - and then jump to "next" as with a word finder/searcher.  Usually when I ask for PM features they already exist - am I  missing anything ?   

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: jumping to sound files
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 07:43:51 AM »
I often record when an incident has just occurred during sport.  If I select by "sound" the files are isolated in a group. In a perfect world an option to display the "sound" frame central with surrounding frames in place would allow for picking the best shot - and then jump to "next" as with a word finder/searcher.  Usually when I ask for PM features they already exist - am I  missing anything ?

No, there is no jump to next image with a sound.  You can however select all images that have audio from the Edit menu.

Then they will be highlighted.

-Kirk

Offline vasha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »
Kirk, I would love it if there was a way in preferences to turn on a stronger visual alert for the files with audio - the little audio button is simply too small to spot when working through edits and for someone who annotates names when shooting for playback later when ID'ing folks in the captions, I'd really like to see the Audio-appended files jump out at me - like having the background area of each audio-appended photo change to red or some other color I could select. Obviously this would be an option I could turn on in preferences, so that most people would never see it unless they were like me and wanted it bad...

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Re: jumping to sound files and colour coded or tagged files
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 03:02:42 PM »
It would be great if this was available.

Currently, I try to tag some pictures in camera at an event where I am likely to take around 2.5k per day. I then need to sort the best pictures which I then colour code ready to go to the agency.

They are then grouped together and adjusted and cropped ready for captioning. However, when I have 50 images colour coded together to caption each picture I have to jump back to the originating sequence of competitors to find the full details and captured scoreboard and currently that is not easily possible. It is very time consuming to trawl through the pictures again to find a colour coded picture.

Is it possible that this could be looked at for a future release?

It would be truly helpful and time saving.
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: jumping to sound files and colour coded or tagged files
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 05:51:46 PM »
David,

It would be great if this was available.

Currently, I try to tag some pictures in camera at an event where I am likely to take around 2.5k per day. I then need to sort the best pictures which I then colour code ready to go to the agency.

They are then grouped together and adjusted and cropped ready for captioning. However, when I have 50 images colour coded together to caption each picture I have to jump back to the originating sequence of competitors to find the full details and captured scoreboard and currently that is not easily possible. It is very time consuming to trawl through the pictures again to find a colour coded picture.

Sorting by Color Class doesn't help in this regard?

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Re: jumping to sound files and colour coded pictures
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:36:01 PM »
Thanks Kirk.

I am in Rio at the moment at a 7 day competition that has just finished and have around 2500 images per day.

At the end of the day I need to send between 30 to 50 images to the agency and to do that I try to tag pictures at the venue which are then assembled as one contact sheet and colour coded with one basic colour. I then flick through the rest and add some more that were missed and not tagged.

All are then shown as one contact sheet and I remove those that do not seem good enough for sending. I then crop and adjust those in the contact sheet ready to send but obviously must add captions to each image as all captions will be different and here the problem begins.

The colour coded images of judo matches are spread right across the day and very often show different players. So to caption them I have to go back to the single picture's original position in the time based sequence of images and to do that I have to show all the images but PM doesn't focus on the chosen image as Media Pro does which I don't use much these days. I then have to flick through all the images to find the one I need to caption and this is time consuming.

Anything that can allow the chosen image to remain in the middle of the screen when all are shown would be very helpful.
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 07:12:46 PM »
David,

I am in Rio at the moment at a 7 day competition that has just finished and have around 2500 images per day.

At the end of the day I need to send between 30 to 50 images to the agency and to do that I try to tag pictures at the venue which are then assembled as one contact sheet and colour coded with one basic colour. I then flick through the rest and add some more that were missed and not tagged.

All are then shown as one contact sheet and I remove those that do not seem good enough for sending. I then crop and adjust those in the contact sheet ready to send but obviously must add captions to each image as all captions will be different and here the problem begins.

The colour coded images of judo matches are spread right across the day and very often show different players. So to caption them I have to go back to the single picture's original position in the time based sequence of images and to do that I have to show all the images but PM doesn't focus on the chosen image as Media Pro does which I don't use much these days. I then have to flick through all the images to find the one I need to caption and this is time consuming.

Anything that can allow the chosen image to remain in the middle of the screen when all are shown would be very helpful.

OK, but is it useful to have all of your color classed images sorted together so you don't have to hunt for them?  Sorting by Color Class will do this.

I don't know if it would be useful in your case or not.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 05:12:58 PM »
Sorry Kirk but I may not be explaining myself well enough.

This is what happens in Media Pro. 1) After a shoot of, say, two thousand images chosen pictures are colour coded in one or more colours. 2) All pictures across the day can then be shown together as one contact sheet to be cropped and adjusted as needed. 3) Then to caption pictures with relevant information such as players and technique etc you click on that image and go to the "show all images" drop down, click it and you are immediately taken to the original position of the image and accompanying information such as pictures of the scoreboard and player names.

It is a great time saver but doesn't happen in PM. Could that be because PM is a browser rather than a catalogue?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 06:34:58 PM »
David,

Sorry Kirk but I may not be explaining myself well enough.

This is what happens in Media Pro. 1) After a shoot of, say, two thousand images chosen pictures are colour coded in one or more colours. 2) All pictures across the day can then be shown together as one contact sheet to be cropped and adjusted as needed. 3) Then to caption pictures with relevant information such as players and technique etc you click on that image and go to the "show all images" drop down, click it and you are immediately taken to the original position of the image and accompanying information such as pictures of the scoreboard and player names.

It is a great time saver but doesn't happen in PM. Could that be because PM is a browser rather than a catalogue?

In your step #3 are you saying that you want to caption pictures that aren't color coded but are related to a particular one that is color coded and exists temporally nearby?

The ability to jump to a picture you have selected (if it is the only selected item) after showing all images does not require a catalog.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 04:56:49 AM »
Hi, David
Let me try to help you...
You open all the pictures of the day in the same contact sheet, right?
Then you go through them color coding, etc., right?
Now, if you use the "selection by color code" bar on the right bottom side of the contact sheet, you are able to see either only the selected ones or all of the pictures of that day. It is up to you. Your choice.
When you choose to see all of the pictures (I mean, all color coded and non color coded), you will be  able to see the pictures you want, the score, player names, etc.
I use the same thing a lot.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:06:22 AM by Luiz Muzzi »

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 02:42:04 PM »
Thanks Kirk an Luizi for your replys. I am now back in the UK.

What I am saying is that I want to select around an initial 100 pictures from a day's shoot of about 2k images, then whittle them down to the 50 best images and crop and adjust.

So those 50 images are then grouped together with colour codes or tags on one contact sheet.

Now I need to caption them as it is obviously pointless captioning the original 100 selection. However, when I select one of the 50 and open it in the full contact sheet of all the images it doesn't stay in the middle of the screen as it does in Media Pro. To find that image again, even though it is selected, and the others I have to trawl through the 2k of images unlike in Media Pro where the selected picture is always in the middle of the screen even though the 2k of images are all in the same fully open contact sheet.

Hopefully this is a bit clearer.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 03:28:32 PM »
David,

Thanks Kirk an Luizi for your replys. I am now back in the UK.

What I am saying is that I want to select around an initial 100 pictures from a day's shoot of about 2k images, then whittle them down to the 50 best images and crop and adjust.

So those 50 images are then grouped together with colour codes or tags on one contact sheet.

Now I need to caption them as it is obviously pointless captioning the original 100 selection. However, when I select one of the 50 and open it in the full contact sheet of all the images it doesn't stay in the middle of the screen as it does in Media Pro. To find that image again, even though it is selected, and the others I have to trawl through the 2k of images unlike in Media Pro where the selected picture is always in the middle of the screen even though the 2k of images are all in the same fully open contact sheet.

Hopefully this is a bit clearer.

If you only want to caption the 50 color classed images, then use the Color Class filter at the bottom of the contact sheet to turn off the display of all of the 'None' color class images.  You'll be left with 50 total images on screen.  It shouldn't take long to spot the one you want.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 02:54:51 AM »
Thanks Kirk.

Unfortunately, that is not possible. In Rio there were 948 contestants in 14 weight categories and 32 teams from 123 countries taking part in the World Individual and Team Championships over 7 days on three mats. Accordingly my captions have to be accurate with correct spellings of names such as Bundmaa Munkhbaatar (Mongolia), Lasha Shavdatuashvili (Georgia), Nijat Shikhalizada (Azebaijan) and many other equally complicated names that must not be mis-spelt.

This is a typical caption:
RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL - AUGUST 28: Shohei Ono of Japan (blue) confronts Ugo Legrand of France before throwing him for ippon (10 points) to win the u73kgs gold medal at the Rio World Judo Championships, on day 3, Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at the Gympasium Maracanazinho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (Photo by David Finch) *** Local Caption *** Shohei Ono;Ugo Legrand

Obviously, much of the above is entered during ingesting the images and after the event I will cull the 2k+ images from each day down to around 1k but on the day I have to upload images within a few hours of the end of the competition.

If PM had the same ability as Media Pro to go from the colour coded selection page direct to the image in the "All Images" view life would be a little easier. I hasten to add that I am eagerly awaiting PM's cataloguing program to replace Media Pro which has its own problems.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 06:39:54 AM »
David,

Somehow I think there is a failure to communicate here.

I'll make my question as simple as I possibly can.  Given your scenario of 2k images, 50 of which have been color classed:  Do you only wish to work with the 50 images and caption only the 50 images?

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 07:13:16 AM »
Thanks Kirk.

Initially, I need to urgently caption up to 50 images for the agency from the circa 2k images captured during the day. 

To do so, after cropping and adjusting, I have to go back to the original string of images that I captured from that contest, which might be up to 50 images, to see the scoreboard shots and complete the captions.

After submitting to the agency I will cull the day's shoot down substantially and at the same time caption, very basically for reference, all the remaining images for later use on my website, magazines and instructional books etc.

I hope this helps.
David