Author Topic: Warning: Photo Mechanic crashes on OS X Yosemite 10.10  (Read 81732 times)

Offline Jack Haijes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Warning: Photo Mechanic crashes on OS X Yosemite 10.10
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2015, 05:37:47 AM »
Hello Kirk,

I have no problem to wait, but some Yosemite features are good for me to work with my MacBook Pro and iPhone. And other little things what is better in Yosemite. Is the problem by Apple or the problem by Photo Mechanic 5. I need both Photo Mechanic 5 and Yosemite to do my work as Photgraph.
Jack

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2015, 07:04:16 AM »
Jack,

I have no problem to wait, but some Yosemite features are good for me to work with my MacBook Pro and iPhone. And other little things what is better in Yosemite. Is the problem by Apple or the problem by Photo Mechanic 5. I need both Photo Mechanic 5 and Yosemite to do my work as Photgraph.

The build I posted on the previous page is known to work well with Yosemite.  Whether there are any as yet unknown issues with it and Yosemite that will surface...

I can make no guarantees that it will function absolutely perfectly for you at all times, no matter what OS you run Photo Mechanic on.

-Kirk

Offline Jack Haijes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2015, 12:21:37 PM »
Had someone tried PhotoMechanic5R16268 with Yosemite 10.10.2 already? Are there problems? I want to download Yosemite 10.10.2 but i don´t want problems with it. I must work with it, every Day.

Please gib expirience.

-Jack

Offline Fusco88

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2015, 05:16:48 PM »
Jack

Running both, no issues for me .. I will say tho, since unchecking "Put Hard Drives to sleep when possible" in in the Energy Saver System prefs, I have not had a single issue with this or the last build.

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2015, 11:06:04 PM »
No issue with 10.1O.2
I also unchecked "Put Hard Drives to sleep when possible"

Best regards
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Jack Haijes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2015, 03:57:27 AM »
I Downloaded Yosemite 10.10.2 and tried with PM5. I tried both and i have no troubles.

Thank you

Jack

Offline swani

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2015, 08:43:24 AM »
Hi, I just updated iOS to Yesomite and upgraded PM 5.0, build 16268 (bcdb10d).
On my end, PM has crashed few times today.
Not sure what is causing it.
Whole iOS jams up and have to reboot the whole system.
Is anyone else facing this issue?
Many thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2015, 10:06:43 AM »
Hi, I just updated iOS to Yesomite and upgraded PM 5.0, build 16268 (bcdb10d).
On my end, PM has crashed few times today.
Not sure what is causing it.
Whole iOS jams up and have to reboot the whole system.
Is anyone else facing this issue?

I suspect there is a problem with your computer itself.  The first thing I would recommend you do it run the Disk Utility and check your drives for errors, repairing them if possible and also repairing permissions.  The second thing I would recommend you do is execute Apple's Hardware Tests.  http://www.macissues.com/2014/03/21/how-to-run-and-interpret-apples-hardware-tests-on-your-mac/

Make sure there isn't something wrong with your computer's hardware.

-Kirk

Offline Mimot13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2015, 08:46:25 AM »
Had someone tried PhotoMechanic5R16268 with Yosemite 10.10.2 already? Are there problems? I want to download Yosemite 10.10.2 but i don´t want problems with it. I must work with it, every Day.

Please gib expirience.

-Jack
Hello Jack,

installing new PM release today (5R16268), I couldn't see any issue nor any crash. Installed under 10.10.2 (upgraded from Mavericks and a real disaster under first 10.10 release) on an "old" iMac27 i5 from late 2009. PM Soft is really very fast and pleasant to use. In your case I would suggest re-installing combo 10.10.2 and if this doesn't help, try a clean maintenance with ie. "Yosemite cache cleaner" (one month trial possible). NB : of course backup is recommended, this procedure is a DEEP maintenance !

Offline mize

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Todd Mizener - Photojournalist
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2015, 01:11:26 PM »
I had earlier noted in this discussion that I got the bouncing PM icons when there were video files in a folder or on a card. If it does it on one machine but not another - both running current version of PM - what would be the cause? If it relates to the rendering of a video thumbnail what is turned-on and or off depending the machine?
Todd Mizener
Dir of Photography/Multimedia
Dispatch/Argus

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2015, 02:45:23 PM »
I had earlier noted in this discussion that I got the bouncing PM icons when there were video files in a folder or on a card. If it does it on one machine but not another - both running current version of PM - what would be the cause? If it relates to the rendering of a video thumbnail what is turned-on and or off depending the machine?

I don't know why the same version and build of PM would behave differently on one of your systems versus another.

-Kirk

Offline mize

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2015, 02:49:48 PM »
I checked the installed codecs and they match. You mentioned earlier it had something to do with the rendering of thumbnails by PM - what does PM rely on to render this thumbnails?
Todd Mizener
Dispatch/Argus

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2015, 03:02:43 PM »
I checked the installed codecs and they match. You mentioned earlier it had something to do with the rendering of thumbnails by PM - what does PM rely on to render this thumbnails?

A helper application built-into Photo Mechanic called "Video Render".  It is a command-line application and has no UI.  It should not show up in the dock -- ever.

-Kirk

Offline mize

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2015, 03:06:18 PM »
Let's say I want to reinstall from ground up. Should I deactivate and then reactivate when I reinstall? I don't really know why this bugs me but now it's a riddle I feel the need to solve.
Todd Mizener
Dispatch/Argus

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2015, 08:12:16 PM »
Let's say I want to reinstall from ground up. Should I deactivate and then reactivate when I reinstall? I don't really know why this bugs me but now it's a riddle I feel the need to solve.

PM on the Mac doesn't have an installer.  It's a simple drag-and-drop copy via the Finder.  Deactivating and reactivating should have no net effect as it is not involved in the process of rendering video files as thumbnails.

-Kirk