Author Topic: After Ventura PM latest Version is extreamly slow  (Read 13645 times)

Offline Brofessional

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: After Ventura PM latest Version is extreamly slow
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2022, 06:14:44 AM »
Sorry to hijack this post. I, too, am seeing very slow performance since going from Mac OS Monterey to Ventura. Ingest is fine, no issues there. But when scrolling through images, they are scrolling very slowly one by one. And not rapid fire like pre-Ventura.

Any help welcomed.

Mac OS Ventura, 2021 MBP 16 inch, 64GB Ram. PM6 Version 6.0, build 6552 (1b31032)

Same problem. Scrolling absolutely impossible, it's like playing game with 2 fps.
And also abnormal CPU usage %.

https://ibb.co/sH11prf
https://ibb.co/8jpTWbZ

Mac OS Ventura, 2021 MBP 16 inch M1 max, 32GB Ram. PM6 Version 6.0, build 6552 (1b31032)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 08:34:37 AM by Brofessional »

Offline Valerie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2022, 07:53:31 PM »
Going to jump in here and say that ingest has become unworkably slow sinced upgrading to Ventura.

Context:  I have to file images with the client after each period (hockey) and at the intermission and end of game (basketball).  I use the same card for a game - my SanDisk 512GB Extreme Pro.  Tonight it was 2 basketball games.  The first ingest is fine, the subsequet ingests are slow.  There's a message something along the lines of "scanning media for files" or something like that.  At the end of the second game tonight, which would have been my 4th ingest, it took over 2 minutes to start showing me images - I clocked it.  This is really wrecking my in-game workflow and only started after the Ventura upgrade.  I am using an Apple M1 Max so that should not be part of the problem.  I'll have to revert to LR which is not my preference but I need to be quick.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2022, 10:41:18 AM »
So far most of the reports we have seen have involved moving between images in the Preview window. One other user reported that Ingest was slow, but also showed a video of the number of files on the contact sheet rapidly going up and down, so I'm not sure what was going on there. Would you say that this issue is strictly limited to Ingest for you? Or are you also experience an issue in the Preview window?

The first ingest is fine, the subsequet ingests are slow.  There's a message something along the lines of "scanning media for files" or something like that.  At the end of the second game tonight, which would have been my 4th ingest, it took over 2 minutes to start showing me images

I assume you mean the first ingest after formatting your memory cards in camera?

Is Incremental Ingest enabled?

After the period of waiting for ingest to scan for files, is the actual speed of transferring the images slower than previously as well? Or is the speed issue strictly related to before it begins copying images.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 11:30:13 AM by ahoward »

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2022, 09:07:09 AM »
here is a video showing the issue... it is very strange, i never had anything similare before, but it is very anoying.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggas2t876n6iniz/VID20221029233304.mp4?dl=0

Just following up with something I noticed: In your video the number of items on the Contact Sheet is rapidly changing: it goes from ~80 to ~90 to ~300 to ~1200 to ~360. Is some other program modifying the contents of the folder that you are Ingesting to? Ingest would only be adding files to the destination. I'd still like to troubleshoot with you directly if you are not sure why the number of files is going up and down, so do please follow up at support@camerabits.com

no only the PM import is running, and the software is absolute useless at this stage, i cant use it i changed to Photostation as i need to work

Offline EYoungDBM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2022, 06:42:06 PM »
Also having issues with terrible slowdown when going through photos once they are imported. While importing, it's almost impossible (it was always slower when importing, but I think that was noted earlier in this thread that it's normal behavior). I have not, however, noticed longer import times. Once the import is over, sometimes it's terribly slow, almost unusable, to page through the photos. Other times it's almost back to normal. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it, but it's slow more than it's fast since updating to Ventura.

I will note, I have three computers. My M1 MacBook Air is the one I use most, and it has this problem off and on. My 16" MacBook Pro M1 Pro would only work slowly, it wouldn't work at normal speed. My 2017 15" MacBook Pro with Intel seemed to work normally with no issues. I didn't use it much though, as I don't really use this computer anymore. I shoot hockey too, and was tried the 15" for a game just to see if it fixed the issue.

Is it possible it's an M1 Ventura issue?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2022, 12:34:41 PM »
Please see my post here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=15292.msg75238#msg75238
I will note, I have three computers. My M1 MacBook Air is the one I use most, and it has this problem off and on.
It would be interesting to know what conditions are changing for you when the problem is and isn’t apparent.
Is it possible it’s an M1 Ventura issue?
These are two separate things. M1/Apple silicon: not really, these processors have been around for over a year and Photo Mechanic has run well under Big Sur and Monterey on Apple’s processors with no issues that we could attribute to Rosetta emulation. As I noted in the other thread, we are looking into an issue with Ventura. At the moment that we have found some quite different performance when running certain color profiles on the display where Photo Mechanic is can hurt performance, despite the fact that it works perfectly fine under the same monitor profiles as Monterey. Switching to sRGB helps greatly but we understand that this is not a workable solution for some users.

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2022, 05:45:58 PM »
i just installed the ast update, and it did not fix anything, how long to fix the issue finally? I CANT USE THE SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2022, 07:59:39 PM »
i just installed the ast update, and it did not fix anything, how long to fix the issue finally? I CANT USE THE SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You’ll see in the announcement post for this build that the main issue of browsing speed in the preview window is being worked on, and that we made no claims that the new build would address the problem yet. We are working with Apple to address the problem that Ventura introduced.

I have requested on this forum, through direct message to you, and through email, for you to set up a time with me so we could look into the issue that you reported with the number of items on the contact sheet fluctuating wildly throughout Ingest, and you have not done so. Until I can give our developers the steps to replicate the issue that you are experiencing, we have no way of fixing it, and so far I cannot reproduce this issue. So I’ll need your help in order to make any progress on this problem.

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2022, 02:26:41 PM »
Injest speed is fine - I'm noticing a unbearable slowness as I'm running through the images in the Preview pane.

Offline WildcatPhotog24

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
TEMP FIX! Re: After Ventura PM latest Version is extreamly slow
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2022, 11:04:14 AM »
I have found disabling the "Synchronize single selection between Preview and Contact Sheet" option in Preferences -> Preview has helped preview speed as a temporary fix. You won't know where you are when going back to the contact sheet, but worth it for the speed increase.

Specs: Apple MB Pro 2021, 16-inch M1Max, OS 13.0.1, PM build 6645 (f4860a9)

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2022, 07:15:12 AM »
it seems the last ventura update made it better, the apple support says it is a bandwitch problem as PM constantly reads and writes and as it is not native on M1 it slows the system down like crazy, especially when you use an external ssd even if it is a thunderbolt USB C

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2022, 08:15:11 PM »
it seems the last ventura update made it better, the apple support says it is a bandwitch problem as PM constantly reads and writes and as it is not native on M1 it slows the system down like crazy, especially when you use an external ssd even if it is a thunderbolt USB C
Am I missing something? Has there been a Ventura update since 13.0.1 on the 9th of November?

My previewing is still choppy AF.

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2022, 10:19:33 PM »
Am I missing something? Has there been a Ventura update since 13.0.1 on the 9th of November?

My previewing is still choppy AF.

Ventura 13.0.1 patch
https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-ventura-13-0-1-22a400-update-is-live-whats-new/

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2022, 12:00:29 AM »
Sad to say this, but I'm also experiencing slow performance even with very easy tasks, such as flicking though 1024px images in a folder on my desktop.
Latest version, latest OS top of the line M1 Max.

We need version native version 7 asap, with some AI functionality, otherwise its becoming rather hard to explain why PM is great to other people
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 12:26:32 AM by Max Lemesh »

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2022, 06:28:51 AM »
one other strange thing i expirienced is that the cpu utilization is going on PM to 600% when the software is not doing anthing is just open, very strange. And even after this update my old 2011 I5 with  a thunderbolt to usb3 adapter is faster as the M1 Macbook AIR with 16 GB the 14" M1 is about same speed as the old 2011 this is not really funny