Author Topic: Warning: Photo Mechanic crashes on OS X Yosemite 10.10  (Read 81744 times)

Offline Bevilaquafoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Warning: Photo Mechanic crashes on OS X Yosemite 10.10
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 09:08:56 AM »
Understood. Thanks, Kirk.

Offline Rudyh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 08:52:49 AM »
Everything is working fine here!

Rudy Hardy
www.rudyhardy.com

Offline gregoire

• View Profile
    • www.emilegregoire.com
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 02:56:53 PM »
I usually intend "to wait this time around" but end up installing a new Mac OS within 24 hours. PM is working just fine for what I'm doing. So is Lightroom and I just uploaded my first batch of images for a client. I hope with the advent of public betas the final release is more stable than before. With the usual caveat that YMMV.

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 05:07:36 AM »
Okay, my PM 5.0 seems to be working fine as well (no crashes, no problems, just as it was on Maverics) but I did notice one thing. I work with raw files. Usually, I edit them in Lightroom but sometimes, if I am really busy and do not have much time, I just crop and save (convert from RAW to JPEG) them through PM as it is much much faster then doing it with Lightroom. After update to Mac OS 10.10 I noticed, that it takes quite a lot more time than it did before - usually 100 photos was not a hassle, now it takes as much time as it would with Lightroom.

Working on MacBook Pro 15 Retina (i7 2.0 8GB ram), Yosemite 10.10 and PhotoMechanic 5, build 15800 (e6ecc1c).

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 06:41:39 AM »
Okay, my PM 5.0 seems to be working fine as well (no crashes, no problems, just as it was on Maverics) but I did notice one thing. I work with raw files. Usually, I edit them in Lightroom but sometimes, if I am really busy and do not have much time, I just crop and save (convert from RAW to JPEG) them through PM as it is much much faster then doing it with Lightroom. After update to Mac OS 10.10 I noticed, that it takes quite a lot more time than it did before - usually 100 photos was not a hassle, now it takes as much time as it would with Lightroom.

Working on MacBook Pro 15 Retina (i7 2.0 8GB ram), Yosemite 10.10 and PhotoMechanic 5, build 15800 (e6ecc1c).

Check your RAW preferences in PM 5.  Make sure it is set to use the JPEG previews instead of rendering RAW.  That's the one thing that can take most of the speed away from PM.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 02:35:47 AM »

Hi,
When you say you convert from raw to jpeg through PM, do you mean you use the option "Extract jpeg previews from raw photos"?
Because it does generate a much smaller jpeg than with LR...after all, it is an embedded preview that the camera has put inside the file.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 03:20:00 AM »
Hi Luiz,

no, I actually save them, not extract. I use the CMD+S command. Pick the destination and save them.

But I did find out why it takes longer. If you just save them, without any crops and size limitations, it goes through very quickly (and faster than any other program I have). But if you add any of the before mentioned settings (I just added 4.00 MB limitation yesterday), it takes quite longer.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 04:51:38 PM »
Hi Luiz,

no, I actually save them, not extract. I use the CMD+S command. Pick the destination and save them.

But I did find out why it takes longer. If you just save them, without any crops and size limitations, it goes through very quickly (and faster than any other program I have). But if you add any of the before mentioned settings (I just added 4.00 MB limitation yesterday), it takes quite longer.

All right.
I have found out that you should use the option "Use embedded preview" in the Save As dialogue to get more accurate results in the jpeg file (very similar to using DPP, for instance, to convert the raw files).
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 05:08:02 PM »
If you have PM render the RAW (on a Mac only at this time) then you're not going to get the same image characteristics as you were seeing in the Preview and Contact Sheet (unless you told PM to render RAW for previews and thumbnails all along).  You're going to get Apple's rendering of your RAW file and it will be much slower than using the embedded JPEG preview found in your RAW file.  The differences in color tone and exposure can be dramatic compared to how the camera rendered the preview.

-Kirk

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 04:15:17 AM »
My copy of PM 5, 15800 is not happy on the official release of Yosemite, on my Macbook Air, frequent beachball of death symptoms requiring Force Quit, it doesn't crash on startup, it becomes unresponsive when left idle.

cheers

Simon

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 04:36:00 AM »
If you have PM render the RAW (on a Mac only at this time) then you're not going to get the same image characteristics as you were seeing in the Preview and Contact Sheet (unless you told PM to render RAW for previews and thumbnails all along).  You're going to get Apple's rendering of your RAW file and it will be much slower than using the embedded JPEG preview found in your RAW file.  The differences in color tone and exposure can be dramatic compared to how the camera rendered the preview.

-Kirk

Hi, Kirk
It is exactly what happens. That's why I would rather use the embedded preview.
At the same time, I would like to see the same embedded preview in LR (no changes at all) to start with, but it is kind of difficult to get the same view as in PM. Colors are different when you open the file in LR (not faithful to how the camera renders unfortunately).
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 07:17:48 AM »
Simon,

My copy of PM 5, 15800 is not happy on the official release of Yosemite, on my Macbook Air, frequent beachball of death symptoms requiring Force Quit, it doesn't crash on startup, it becomes unresponsive when left idle.

Well, that's odd.  We're not having that experience here.  If we can reproduce the problem then we'll fix it in an update to PM 5.

-Kirk

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 07:19:48 AM »
Luiz,

At the same time, I would like to see the same embedded preview in LR (no changes at all) to start with, but it is kind of difficult to get the same view as in PM. Colors are different when you open the file in LR (not faithful to how the camera renders unfortunately).

Since LR does its own RAW rendering and they don't use Nikon's software to do the rendering, it will likely never match what your camera did when the image was produced.

-Kirk

Offline redshoesgirl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • gallery
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 01:41:04 PM »
Now that Yosemite is in official release as of 10/17/14, do the crash problems still exist, or can I safely upgrade to Yosemite without using the workaround?

Apple fixed the bug in the betas of Yosemite that caused PM 5 to crash.  It should be safe to upgrade albeit with the caveat that there may be other bugs in the OS that no one yet knows about.  I personally wait for at least two point release updates before upgrading to any OS.  The risk is up to you.

-Kirk

thanks, convinced me to only upgrade from snow leopard to mavericks - hoping that will fix safari issues.
"We spend our days, each one of us, in looking for the secret of life. Well, the secret of life is in art."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »
Hi, Kirk
Thanks for the explanation. Anyway I only use LR when I have to edit the photo, otherwise I leave it just the way it is.
As to Yosemite, I will wait for sure another month or two.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi