Author Topic: Warning: Photo Mechanic crashes on OS X Yosemite 10.10  (Read 81740 times)

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Warning: Photo Mechanic crashes on OS X Yosemite 10.10
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 05:23:41 AM »
Kirk, there's definitely an issue. What I observe is this:  I drive a 24 inch screen from my Macbook air via a Thunderbolt cable, PM5 working fine, then when I unplug the TB cable and the view reverts back to my MBA that's when I get the beachball, no image previews in the contact sheet, red text for the image names. Only course of action is Force Quit

cheers

Best

Simon

Simon,

My copy of PM 5, 15800 is not happy on the official release of Yosemite, on my Macbook Air, frequent beachball of death symptoms requiring Force Quit, it doesn't crash on startup, it becomes unresponsive when left idle.

Well, that's odd.  We're not having that experience here.  If we can reproduce the problem then we'll fix it in an update to PM 5.

-Kirk

Offline mrfearless47

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2014, 04:50:09 PM »
Sorry, but the Release Version of Yosemite still will not allow me to run Photo Mechanic 5, latest build.  It just hangs on initial load and I have to force it to quit.  Any idea of what the problem is?

thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2014, 09:35:57 PM »
Sorry, but the Release Version of Yosemite still will not allow me to run Photo Mechanic 5, latest build.  It just hangs on initial load and I have to force it to quit.  Any idea of what the problem is?

No.  I have no idea.  Other than Simon DTW, no one else has reported issues and his issue is after he changes his monitor configuration he then has a problem.

Contact our support folks on Monday at +1 503-547-2888 or via email at support@camerabits.com

-Kirk

Offline Mika

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 11:37:47 AM »
Kirk,

I'm having the same issues than Simon DTW with my setup, PM 5.0 build 15800.
13" MBP retina with 27" Dell via Displayport.

- Mika

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 01:05:31 PM »
Mika,

I suggest you also call our technical support folks.  If they can figure out similarities or provide a way to reproduce the problems, they'll let me know so I can address them.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Fusco88

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 06:17:07 PM »
Some issue here  Simon DTW with my setup, PM 5.0 build 15800.  Crashes quite often. When left open and idle, will come back to a crash. And basically just crashes a lot.

Oddly on my MacBook Air i7 2013 with the just the Upgrade install of 10.10 all is good.. My i7 16Gb ram 2012 mini was a clean install of everything. That is one having the issues.

Thoughts ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 08:33:49 PM »
Some issue here  Simon DTW with my setup, PM 5.0 build 15800.  Crashes quite often. When left open and idle, will come back to a crash. And basically just crashes a lot.

Oddly on my MacBook Air i7 2013 with the just the Upgrade install of 10.10 all is good.. My i7 16Gb ram 2012 mini was a clean install of everything. That is one having the issues.

Thoughts ?

I suggest you also call our technical support folks.  If they can figure out similarities or provide a way to reproduce the problems, they'll let me know so I can address them.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Matthew J. Wagner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2014, 05:04:29 AM »
My copy of PM 5, 15800 is not happy on the official release of Yosemite, on my Macbook Air, frequent beachball of death symptoms requiring Force Quit, it doesn't crash on startup, it becomes unresponsive when left idle.

cheers

Simon

I'm having this same issue.  As long as we are actively using PM5, everything works fine.  If I leave it open and let it sit idle for any length of time, when I come back, it's beach balling and I have to force quit and restart.  I lose my open tabs and progress on my work each time. 

Should I submit a ticket?  Is there a log file that I can send over to you guys?

Matthew J. Wagner
matt@mathewjwagner.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2014, 06:43:14 AM »
Matthew,

You could post your zip compressed PM.log file (Help->Reveal Support Data).  You could use the Activity Monitor to sample PM when it is hung and post the report here.

Thanks,

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »
BTW, as a test, I disabled app nap in the applications info window.  I left PM5 open when I left the studio at 8:30 and just got back about 4 hours later.  It didn't hang!

As an interim solution, this could help others. 

Log file attached.  PM5 wasn't stuck at the time I generated it.  In fact, I probably would not have been able to generate the log file when the app was in that state anyway.

Matthew

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »
Matthew,

BTW, as a test, I disabled app nap in the applications info window.  I left PM5 open when I left the studio at 8:30 and just got back about 4 hours later.  It didn't hang!

As an interim solution, this could help others.

Do you mean the Info window that is brought up by the Get Info command in the Finder?

Log file attached.  PM5 wasn't stuck at the time I generated it.  In fact, I probably would not have been able to generate the log file when the app was in that state anyway.

It does not need to be generated at the time of the hang.  The log is an ongoing repository for notable events in Photo Mechanic.

I'll look and see if I find anything suspicious in your log.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 10:28:43 AM »
Matthew,

Looking at the log, I see that there are several instances of PM having a segmentation fault.  It is probably occurring when "App Nap" kicks in.  I'm going to try and see if I can get this fault to happen while I am running PM under the debugger so I can catch it "in the act."

I can also tell the system that PM does not participate in App Nap if I can't find any other way to fix the problem.

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2014, 10:37:15 AM »
Thanks Kirk!  Great response time.  I hope you are able to reproduce the behavior in the Camera Bits Lab.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2014, 07:39:35 AM »
Crashed again, even with app nap turned off.  PM5 was left on overnight and is back to it's old tricks.  Screen shot attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2014, 12:03:54 PM »
Matthew,

Crashed again, even with app nap turned off.  PM5 was left on overnight and is back to it's old tricks.  Screen shot attached.

When it is in this state, can you open up the Activity Monitor and sample it?  If you can, please post the sample log here.

Thanks,

-Kirk